722 developed annoying intermittent noise

joeyjojojnr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
We've had our 722 for about a year and a half. This past week it's started making a noise. The best way to describe it would be the sound of a grinding wheel on some metal, but not that loud. If the TV is loud, it's hard to hear, but at low volume or when the TV is off it's rather annoying.

It goes for about 2 seconds, then off for 2 seconds, then repeat. It's louder than the fan (which was loud enough to begin with).

I can't tell if it's a mechanical sound or digital, but either way it's annoying.

I'm going to call Dish in the morning to see if I can get it replaced. Has anyone done this? Easy to convince them to replace hardware?

If they do replace it, do I lose all my DVR'd stuff or is their a way to copy that over first?

oooh.get ready for hard drive failure.i know that noise.

edit: you may actually have to wait until the hdd fails until they replace it, but then it should be free.

We've had our 722 for about a year and a half. This past week it's started making a noise. The best way to describe it would be the sound of a grinding wheel on some metal, but not that loud. If the TV is loud, it's hard to hear, but at low volume or when the TV is off it's rather annoying.

It goes for about 2 seconds, then off for 2 seconds, then repeat. It's louder than the fan (which was loud enough to begin with).

I can't tell if it's a mechanical sound or digital, but either way it's annoying.

I'm going to call Dish in the morning to see if I can get it replaced. Has anyone done this? Easy to convince them to replace hardware?

If they do replace it, do I lose all my DVR'd stuff or is their a way to copy that over first?

That's the gerbel, he needs to be fed, watered, have his bedding changed and given some attention so your receiver doesn't fail.

That's the ticket

That's the gerbel, he needs to be fed, watered, have his bedding changed and given some attention so your receiver doesn't fail.

The wheel he's running on to drive the unit is going bad. It was die soon. So get the stuff transferred to an ext HDD quick. 1 of the best reasons to have the ext HDD. :D

Run don't walk to your favorite discount electronics store and purchase a 1-2T external HD make sure it has an EXTERNAL power supply, I have seen 1 T drives as low as $69.00 at Best Buy. Plug it into the USB port on the 722 and plug power supply into the wall. Go to menu, can't remember exactly which numbers but find the one that has the External HD features. You will get a pop up telling you to call Dish to activate the EHD feature. This can be done through an automated system when you call. Once the drive is formated transfer your recordings. Then call Dish and tell them your 722 is making all kinds of weird noises. They will probably tell you to to do a soft reset and a hard reset to see if that fixes it. Just tell them you did it and there is no change. You should then be told they will send a replacement. DO you have DHPP? If not go on line and sign up for it now.
While at the store see if you can pick up a USB powered cooling fan. I got mine from amazon. After loosing 2 DVR's in about a year, and after joining this forum I found out that the self cooling ability of Dish DVR's is poorly designed. Enclosed and partially enclosed entertainment units were not even considered. Heat is one of the biggest enemies of al electronics and especially these DVRs. SO if you can increase the cooling capacity by adding an external fan it should help. Also remember that the HD is always running so the life expectancy is dramatically decreased, add the heat issue and voila a recipe for potential disaster.
Good luick

Ross

So...to do the back up thing, I have to pay $40 for the 'privilege' to do so?

Ugh.

And the industry wonders why bit torrent is becoming the preferred option...

Eh...I'll have to decide how badly I want to watch what is on there. Honestly, it's "just TV" so can probably live without the stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)