722 Died, replace it or upgrade to Hopper?

neonturbo

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
michigan
Sorry this is so long. My 722 hard drive took a massive dump and took the 722 with it. Now I have to make a decision, replace the 722, or upgrade to a Hopper setup. Let me briefly describe my setup, and my thoughts about the 722 and I would like to hear input from some of you. My 722 is a lease unit, and I have been with Dish for probably at least 7-8 years and I have been out of contract for a long time.

My setup is as follows. House is 1 story ranch, partially finished basement. The living room has the 722. I have RG59 connecting the living room with the kitchen, bedroom and basement using splitters. It is the old cable install that I am basically "backfeeding" into. I use the modulator on the 722 to distribute the signal to all these locations. All four locations have HDTV sets, but the living room is the only one getting HD signal from the dish, all others get SD because of getting signal over coax cable. That is OK, but would be nice if I could get HD in basement at least. I don't have, but could easily run ethernet cable into each room. I do have wifi that reaches each room.

The kitchen is adjacent to the living room, and the TV there is on the same modulator channel as the living room so if either sound is on in either room the picture matches the sound and the one remote control will switch both TV's. (Tuner "A" in other words)

The bedroom and basement are usually tuned to the other modulator channel so others in the household can watch whatever they wish. The bedroom and basement TV are not used simultaneously so it is OK that they are "tied" together. (This is tuner "B" in other words) I keep an extra UHF remote in the basement, and it all works great.

I love the 722, it has been pretty much flawless. I got it when they first came out, and it has given zero major problems, there are those little quirks in some software versions but that is OK. I am happy with the way it works, and I guess I would be happy with it again. The Hopper is appealing because of the larger hard drive, (I record a lot, my 722's hard drive is always FULL) the hop feature is appealing, and the shiny new interface as well as the ability to have HD tuners in more than 1 location is a bonus.

So what I am not clear on is: Would ONE Hopper/Joey setup work for my setup, and my needs? I don't really want to get into buying 3 hoppers, one for each location (they are extra cost for each hopper as I understand it?) and I don't want huge fees every month either. It is a small house with only two adults so I really only need two tuners (well really technically 3 tuners like the 722) as far as I can tell.

Going from a 722 (which only has 2 tuners, unless you have OTA) to 1 Hopper has you going from 2 tuners to 3, 3 Hoppers would give you nine tuners which in my opinion is quite a jump especially when you consider the upfront cost of buying the 3rd Hopper. 1 Hopper and 1 Joey would probably be fine in your case, and using an RF adaptor would feed your other tv's making use of your current setup. Even with the 1 Hopper/1 Joey, you monthly fee will go up $11 (dvr would go from $6 to $10 plus the additional fee of $7 for the Joey. If you are not needed HD on the other tv's, you may want to stay with the 722.

Would ONE Hopper/Joey setup work for my setup, and my needs?
Yes. And you will love the Hopper/Joey. Just a reminder...neither the Hopper or Joey have a modulated output so you would need to buy one or two inexpensive RF modulators.

OK.

If I did 1 Hopper, 1 Joey, I would still use an external RF modulator? I.E. Joey doesn't have an OUTPUT that I could use to feed my other TV's. Does Dish supply the modulator if needed?

How does a Joey "talk to" a Hopper? It looks like over a coax cable. If so, I would need a 2nd coax because the one I have now would (at least parts of it) be used for the Joey?

Edit to say UGGH. This must be a nightmare to install.

OK.

If I did 1 Hopper, 1 Joey, I would still use an external RF modulator? I.E. Joey doesn't have an OUTPUT that I could use to feed my other TV's. Does Dish supply the modulator if needed?

How does a Joey "talk to" a Hopper? It looks like over a coax cable. If so, I would need a 2nd coax because the one I have now would (at least parts of it) be used for the Joey?

Edit to say UGGH. This must be a nightmare to install.

Like I said above, neither have a modulated coax output like the 722. I'm not sure if they would supply an RF modulator or not. They are cheap.

The Joey can be connected to Hopper via coax or ethernet cable.

Don't know why it should be a nightmare.

Last edited:
OH, and one more thing that might be the deal breaker. With the 722 a person on the modulator setup can choose to watch either available channel or the DVR.

It doesn't sound like I could do this with 1 Hopper. In other words here is my proposed setup.

• Living room (fed from Hopper HDMI port)
  • Basement (fed from Joey HDMI port)
  • Bedroom (fed from basement Joey RCA composite port via modulator)
  • Kitchen (fed from basement Joey RCA composite port via modulator)

But If I feed the kitchen and bedroom TV from Hopper, do I have a choice of watching something separate on the kitchen than the bedroom? In other words I want the kitchen mirrored with living room NOT the basement/bedroom.

I'm not sure if they would supply the modulator or not.

The Joey can be connected to Hopper via coax or ethernet cable.

Don't know why it should be a nightmare.

It just looks like it takes 2-3 times as much wiring/cabling to get the same results as the 722.

If I can use ethernet, that makes it easier.

I just looked and modulators are pretty reasonable on Amazon and elsewhere so I guess that is easy for me to handle.

OH, and one more thing that might be the deal breaker. With the 722 a person on the modulator setup can choose to watch either available channel or the DVR.

It doesn't sound like I could do this with 1 Hopper. In other words here is my proposed setup.

• Living room (fed from Hopper HDMI port)
  • Basement (fed from Joey HDMI port)
  • Bedroom (fed from basement Joey RCA composite port via modulator)
  • Kitchen (fed from basement Joey RCA composite port via modulator)

But If I feed the kitchen and bedroom TV from Hopper, do I have a choice of watching something separate on the kitchen than the bedroom? In other words I want the kitchen mirrored with living room NOT the basement/bedroom.
Then you need to connect Kitchen to Hopper (Living Room)
Keep in mind another option, the Hopper has both HDMI and component outputs if you would want to run an HDMI cable to the kitchen,

I am probably making this harder than what it is, (sorry long week) but just to totally clarify this in my mind:

The HDMI and the composite RCA on the Joey output the same signal/channel so I would need TWO modulators to get what I want. One modulator would hook to Hopper, feed the kitchen TV. Other modulator would be on Joey and feed the bedroom.

The way the 722 works, if I want to, I can tune bedroom into the same channel as Living room so whole house is showing the same thing and is tuned from one remote. I would lose that ability (but could do it in a different way) with the Hopper/Joey.

I am probably making this harder than what it is, (sorry long week) but just to totally clarify this in my mind:

The HDMI and the composite RCA on the Joey output the same signal/channel so I would need TWO modulators to get what I want. One modulator would hook to Hopper, feed the kitchen TV. Other modulator would be on Joey and feed the bedroom.

The way the 722 works, if I want to, I can tune bedroom into the same channel as Living room so whole house is showing the same thing and is tuned from one remote. I would lose that ability (but could do it in a different way) with the Hopper/Joey.

Correct on all of the above...including making to too hard.;)

Not considering the Hopper/Joey because it is $11/month more expensive than my 722K+3 211's and limited OTA support (only 1 OTA tuner/Hopper) plus no PTAT here (SD only locals).

With the $5 price increase in February it cements my decision to stand pat, maybe downgrade service a notch.

$100/per month for TV is RIDICULOUS!

Not considering the Hopper/Joey because it is $11/month more expensive than my 722K+3 211's and limited OTA support (only 1 OTA tuner/Hopper) plus no PTAT here (SD only locals).

With the $5 price increase in February it cements my decision to stand pat, maybe downgrade service a notch.

$100/per month for TV is RIDICULOUS!

PTAT does work in some SD markets, I believe it's 43 SD markets total.

Here is a list of Markets that will NOT support PTAT

- Alexandria, Louisiana
- Lafayette, Indiana
- Alpena, Michigan
- Lima, Ohio
- Amarillo, Texas
- Lubbock, Texas
- Bend, Oregon
- Mankato, Minnesota
- Billings, Montana
- Marquette, Michigan
- Biloxi-Gulfport, Mississippi
-
North Platte, Nebraska
- Binghamton, New York
- Ottumwa-Kirksville, Iowa
- Bowling Green, Kentucky
-
Parkersburg, West Virginia
- Casper-Riverton, Wyoming
- Presque Isle, Maine
- Charlottesville, Virginia
- Puerto Rico/US Virgin Islands
- Clarksburg-Weston, West Virginia
- Rapid City, South Dakota
- Dothan, Alabama
- Salisbury, Maryland
- Elmira (Corning), New York
- St. Joseph, Missouri
- Eureka, California
- Tyler-Longview, Texas
- Glendive, Montana
- Utica, New York
- Greenwood-Greenville, Mississippi
- Victoria, Texas
- Harrisonburg, Virginia
-
Watertown, New York
- Hattiesburg-Laurel, Mississippi
-
Wheeling-Steubenville, West-Virginia-Ohio
- Helena, Montana
- Yuma-El Centro, Arizona-California
- Jackson, Tennessee
- Zanesville, Ohio
- Jonesboro, Arkansas

This may have changed, but was accurate at the hoppers release.

areas with partial functionality.

- Cheyenne, Wyoming
- Fairbanks, Alaska
- Juneau, Alaska
- Panama City, Florida
- Topeka, Kansas

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts