722 DVR and TV2 dilemma

pcaffari

Original poster
Sep 23, 2004
I just had a 722 installed, and found out rather quickly (after the installer left) that the locals (which I get with and OTA antenna) won't show on TV2 unless 1) the receiver is in single mode (this defeats the purpose of a dual tuner) or 2) I install a Super Home Node (which I discovered that it's nothing but a fancy splitter). I chose option 2, and used a regular splitter backwards (thanks to reading your threads), and it works wonderfully. Now my question. My TV2 is an Sony Wega HD Ready TV (ie. analog). If a get a converter box for the famous 2009 date, will this box (which is meant to get hooked up directly to an OTA antenna) interfere with the signal coming from the cable that now contains both the antenna, and the modulated signal from the "home Distribution" on the 722? I hope this is clear!

Do I need a converter box with a analog pass-through?

Thanks.:confused:

I am no expert, BUT I would think that nothing would be affected. TV2 will continue to output as TV2 has always outputted.

Since you have a HD capable TV why would you get one of the converter boxes which only go from digital to analog? Even if your locals are not in HD I would go ahead and get a HD set top box which will give you a digital signal for your digital TV.

I just had a 722 installed, and found out rather quickly (after the installer left) that the locals (which I get with and OTA antenna) won't show on TV2 unless 1) the receiver is in single mode (this defeats the purpose of a dual tuner) or 2) I install a Super Home Node (which I discovered that it's nothing but a fancy splitter). I chose option 2, and used a regular splitter backwards (thanks to reading your threads), and it works wonderfully. Now my question. My TV2 is an Sony Wega HD Ready TV (ie. analog). If a get a converter box for the famous 2009 date, will this box (which is meant to get hooked up directly to an OTA antenna) interfere with the signal coming from the cable that now contains both the antenna, and the modulated signal from the "home Distribution" on the 722? I hope this is clear!

Do I need a converter box with a analog pass-through?

Thanks.:confused:
I am not sure if this will help, but we have a 625 hooked up to a HD TV with a Digital Tuner. (Got the HD TV after we had upgraded one tuner to a 722 and a year is not up, so we can't DIU to get the 625 replaced).

Anyway, when we look at channels coming into this TV from the coax that is also hooked up, we can see all of the following: analog signal from the 625 receiver, analog TV stations available OTA, and digital channels available OTA. There is NO antenna hooked up to this tv, it is picking up some channels from the coax running throughout the house for the satellite.

With that, I believe you will be able to see both the OTA (after 2/19/09) and the analog signal from the sat receiver. However, not having a digital converter box, I would not be willing to bet on this.

Geoff

To KenSoren,

The reason why I don't get a HD set top box is $$$. I don't think I've seen an HD receiver for less than 200$ unless you know something I don't.

To GNASH,

Without a converter box my TV2 will only see what's coming from the 722 (which is an audio/video feed only, as I was explained). After Feb 09 the antenna, (which runs through the same cable coming from the 722 feed), will do no good, unless 1) I get a regular converter box, or 2) I get an HD reciever/tuner (200$ at least). I'm not sure how your system is set up, but I guess TV2 should have been an HDTV to begin with....I bought it too soon.

To KenSoren,

The reason why I don't get a HD set top box is $$$. I don't think I've seen an HD receiver for less than 200$ unless you know something I don't.

To GNASH,

Without a converter box my TV2 will only see what's coming from the 722 (which is an audio/video feed only, as I was explained). After Feb 09 the antenna, (which runs through the same cable coming from the 722 feed), will do no good, unless 1) I get a regular converter box, or 2) I get an HD reciever/tuner (200$ at least). I'm not sure how your system is set up, but I guess TV2 should have been an HDTV to begin with....I bought it too soon.

Check EBay out - I've seen used current Samsung boxes that go for just over $100. In my opinion it would be worth the extra money.

To GNASH,

Correct. Let me clarify what I was thinking. In your previous post, you were questioning the need for a pass through. I was trying to point out that our TV does "see" the signal from the antenna.

While I can't tell you what a converter box will do (as we don't have one), I wanted to point out that the 722 does pass an antenna-like signal, so it should (in my humble and possibly incorrect opinion) run through a standard converter box without having an issue with the tv not seeing it.

I am having trouble composing my thoughts on what I was trying to explain when I wrote the original post, but I now it had to do with combining OTA Digital and the signal from a Dish receiver.

Hope that helps to clarify,
Geoff

Correct. Let me clarify what I was thinking. In your previous post, you were questioning the need for a pass through. I was trying to point out that our TV does "see" the signal from the antenna.

While I can't tell you what a converter box will do (as we don't have one), I wanted to point out that the 722 does pass an antenna-like signal, so it should (in my humble and possibly incorrect opinion) run through a standard converter box without having an issue with the tv not seeing it.

I am having trouble composing my thoughts on what I was trying to explain when I wrote the original post, but I now it had to do with combining OTA Digital and the signal from a Dish receiver.

Hope that helps to clarify,
Geoff
Your understanding is off just a bit, the 722 can output it's tv1 and tv2 as an analog signal. This is not termed 'pass thru' since that is not what it is doing. What you should try is splitting the ota signal before you input it into the 722, then combine the ota with the 722's output by using another splitter backwards and sending that coax to the other tv(s).

Your understanding is off just a bit, the 722 can output it's tv1 and tv2 as an analog signal. This is not termed 'pass thru' since that is not what it is doing. What you should try is splitting the ota signal before you input it into the 722, then combine the ota with the 722's output by using another splitter backwards and sending that coax to the other tv(s).
This method works fine, as I am currently using it to feed OTA + a 722's TV2 output to my bedroom TV.

That was my original point. We have not done that with the 722 as we don't have a digital tuner on TV2, but we are getting OTA from the Digital Tuner on the 625, even though we don't have an antenna hooked in (the wiring is acting like its own antenna). If we were to hook up our antenna to the coax for the 625, we would be able to get "better signal strengths" than we are, but I was trying to point out to the OP that it would work (though I still can't speak for what the DTV Converter box will do with the Satellite analog feed as I don't have a Converter box).

Geoff

I think that the digital stb will only "see" the digital signals via ota, thereby eliminating the tv2 analog output. There are some stb available now that do recognize both the analog & digital signals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts