722 DVR during storms

Nabber

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 30, 2008
Why does the 722 interrupt the viewing of a recorded show with a notice when the "live" tuner(s) lose satellite acquisition? Seems completely unnecessary to me. And why they can't just be "canceled" with a single button press is beyond me. TIA

If you did not know there was a storm or interruption going on while the program was being recorded, how would you know it was not another problem? Keeping people from calling Dish unnecessarily is a pretty smart reason in itself.

If you did not know there was a storm or interruption going on while the program was being recorded, how would you know it was not another problem? Keeping people from calling Dish unnecessarily is a pretty smart reason in itself.

I wasn't clear in stating my issue. The problem is that while I am watching a recorded show from weeks ago, the storm outside keeps interrupting it. The storm did not happen during the "taping" weeks ago, the storm is happening live while I am watching the "taped" show.

Here's one for you. During some storms, I can change between the dishes outside. Get that message off the screen and watch other programs I can get in. fun fun fun

I wasn't clear in stating my issue. The problem is that while I am watching a recorded show from weeks ago, the storm outside keeps interrupting it. The storm did not happen during the "taping" weeks ago, the storm is happening live while I am watching the "taped" show.
Coincidence? Rained during both the recording and viewing time frame. Happens to me all the time, but it rains everyday in the summer where I live.

DVR's, Storms, and You!

Coincidence? Rained during both the recording and viewing time frame. Happens to me all the time, but it rains everyday in the summer where I live.

Lol... you just don't give up do you. Even the most primitive among us would think to try a different recording. :rolleyes:

The bottom line is this: if my tuners are not locked in current space-time, I can not START ANY of my ~100 recordings. If I can view a recording during a sunny day, I would think I SHOULD be able to view the same recording on a rainy day.

I can appreciate your stance as devils advocate - but sometimes a duck is just a duck.

Watch out for weak OTA channels set on a channel even if you are only watching a recording.
In addition to Recall, in single mode you may have a tuner Swap applied to that weak tuned channel.
The un-viewed tuner could even be left on OTA from a timer recording and you would not know it, nor would you see the Swap channel in single mode. It might be more obvious in dual mode, maybe.
-Ken

Lol... you just don't give up do you. Even the most primitive among us would think to try a different recording. :rolleyes:

The bottom line is this: if my tuners are not locked in current space-time, I can not START ANY of my ~100 recordings. If I can view a recording during a sunny day, I would think I SHOULD be able to view the same recording on a rainy day.

I can appreciate your stance as devils advocate - but sometimes a duck is just a duck.

Lost signal last night due to 3 1/2 inches of rain.
OTA was fine, but didn't want to watch reality crap.
Menu, DVR, DVR, - watched some recorded shows.

fred

This is an annoying feature that we discovered on our 722 too. It took us a few minutes to realize that it wasn't on our recorded show, but because I'd left it on an HD channel and a big thunderstorm was rolling by just south of my house. 99% of our viewing is done via recorded shows, and so it's annoying to be interrupted.

On my 722, I just push the 'DVR' button and it goes away.

It is annoying though.

I don't know why Dish decided that we needed to know that a 'background' channel, not even being recorded, was losing it's signal for a second. If it were a planned recording, then I would sort of understand. But still, the popup box doesn't need to be so huge.

And really, what is a user going to do about it? It's not like you can adjust anything to get the signal back due to a storm. I'm content with just the box during the recorded show indicating that X minutes were lost due to poor signal. At least they ought to make it an option somewhere to be alerted or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts