722 DVR Plug Directly into wall outlet

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

colden

Original poster
Sep 11, 2010
USA
Is it true that one should plug the 722 power cord directly into the wall (not into a surge protector)? I cannot get the ethernet working and thought this might be the reason.

I wouldn't plug any electronics into the wall directly. The ethernet should not be having any problems based on where the DVR is plugged in... as long as it is plugged in. ;)

The only reason to plug it directly into the wall is if you have homeplug. ViP receivers have homeplug built in and if you have another homeplug device plugged into your router, then you can't get an internet connection.

Is it true that one should plug the 722 power cord directly into the wall (not into a surge protector)? I cannot get the ethernet working and thought this might be the reason.

it IS the reason. plug it directly into the wall!! no surge protector allowed!!!

only homeplug approved surge protectors work with powerline ethernet.

IF you use the sling link plug that you can buy from DISH , you can set it up near your router( plug it into the wall outlet and use ethernet cable to connect to your router), then any vip receivers in your house plugged into the direct wall outlet, will have internet connection and will show dish com connected as well.

I have my VIP722k plugged into an APC Surge protector that I bought from Amazon.com and my Internet connect just fine.

Ghpr13:)

Well, I've had about 10 Dish receivers plugged directly into the wall over the years, and never had one fry because of lightning (or any other reason for that matter).

On a past Tech Forum, Dish claimed that the ViP's have a built in surge protector and that it was OK to plug a ViP directly into the wall outlet because they designed it knowing that people may need to do this for Homeplug. Of course, there are Homeplug approved surge protectors, but I've never found them in brick and mortar and had a hard time online.

I have kept my DVR's plugged into a UPS for years, for both surge protection, and for if the power blinks off I don't miss part of a recording and I don't have to wait for the DVR to re-boot.

I had one fry (722) because of a power surge after a blackout...actually, the DVR fried, but the receiver had to be replaced.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)