722 failed

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mrschwarz

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 17, 2004
I haven't found a topic that addresses what happened to me. Last week, my wife complained that there were a bunch of channels missing from the guide of our relatively new ViP722 receiver. In my experience, a reset cures a lot of ills, so I held the power button down until the receiver rebooted.

Only it didn't reboot. The TV light came on for a minute and went out for about 30 seconds. While this was happening, the fan ran at high speed. Then, all the front panel lights came on for about 30 seconds. After that, nothing happened. The lights and fan went out.

I tried repeatedly to get it to work, but the same thing happened over and over. I unplugged the unit for a short period, and nothing changed. I called the tech support number and they placed an order for a replacement. I left the receiver plugged in and went back to my 522 until the new 722 arrives.

The next morning, I noticed that some of the front panel lights were on. I switched back to the 722 and it was running again.

This is where it got a little strange. Nothing was recording. I checked and all the timers were there, but there were no programs scheduled to be recorded. For example, I record the NBC Nightly News daily. The title doesn't change, but there were no scheduled recordings although the program guide showed a program every day. I created a new timer for the same program and the programs the next day was scheduled, but the programs for the rest of the week weren't. I created another new timer for the news the next day. That timer, caught all of the programs for the rest of the week.

Each timer scheduled the program for the upcoming week, but nothing was scheduled past seven days (the guide goes out further). For a test, I deleted a timer for Sunday (that's when all of this was going on). I advanced to a week from Sunday, created a timer for the same program. Not only did that program schedule, but the one from the previous week scheduled, too. I finally deleted all of the old timers and created new ones based on the programs that were on for the upcoming week.

I scheduled a new timer for 'Canterbury's Law', a new program on Fox. The times in the timer were correct, but instead of recording the program at 7:00, it recorded the hour prior to the program (6:00-7:00).

That reminded me of something that happened earlier last week. For Tuesday night, nothing recorded. When I went to the recording history, each one said that the program didn't record, because the same episode, recorded one hour earlier on the same channel and it would be a duplicate. For example, Jericho didn't record at 9:00 on Channel 11 because it recorded at 8:00 on Channel 11. It wasn't broadcast at that time and nothing was recorded. Again, nothing recorded for the day!

The 722 is inside a cabinet. It has been there as long as I have had it. The 522 is in the same cabinet and hasn't missed a beat in the 3 years I have had it. The only thing I can suspect is heat, but the cabinet is vented from the bottom and back. Diagnotics shows the HDD high temperature was 138 and average temp is 122. Is that too hot?

I also noticed that I recently received version 449 software. In my past experience with Dish, I have seen issues when a new software version is downloaded. A few years ago, a new version that fixed something or added functionality, would break something else in the process. I haven't noticed this much recently, but I suppose it's possible.

Has anyone else seen behavior like this? I expect the replacement receiver today, but if the problems are not hardware-related, I am not sure I want to waste my time removing the old one and installing the new one.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

The 622/722 takes about 5 minutes to reboot. If you only waited a minute or two, you rererererebooted and might have confused it. As was said above, the 622/722 is a HOT machine and typically cannot be kept in a closed space. You will need to run cool air into the cabinet and make sure it can circulate around the 722. I use a USB fan on my 622 to keep things as cool as possible. Doesn't make sense that I would be the one who has to fix the problem but I don't want to deal with the replacement/csr run-around so I cool it myself.

Pull the power cord and plug it back in a minute later. Give it at least 5 minutes to come back up. Run a test recording and then program in a one time recording in the next half hour. Then check all your scheduled programming by pressing DVR until the scheduled to be recorded list comes up and make sure nothing is being skipped.

Let us know what happens.

Have been having similar problems with one of our 722's. Called tech after we got it back on the last time(2 days ago) and they said we would need to call the next time it happens.

Avg temp 114. Have it on an open shelf, no doors, plenty or room around it.

We've had to reboot it numerous times since we first got it 2 months ago. The other 722 has not been out once.

The 622/722 takes about 5 minutes to reboot. If you only waited a minute or two, you rererererebooted and might have confused it.

I'm pretty sure that's not the case. I have had the receiver long enough to know how it behaves when it reboots. Because I was suspecting heat, one of the times I waited to reboot for more than an hour. Also, even though it takes a while to boot, the lights and the screen are not blank during the entire time.

Based on replies from others, would you expect this behavior was due to heat even if it was running without an issue for a month or so before this happened? The conditions in the room were pretty much the same. Can the timer behavior be explained by heat, too? If the unit came back on, is it possible that it was damaged? Could this explain the weird timer behavior? Would you recommend that I return the receiver and use the replacement that was sent?

I forgot to mention that the TV is connected to the 722 via and HDMI cable. I also have a sling box and IIRC, I checked output to that too. There is another thread (http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-hd-discussions/127105-hdmi-after-l449.html)
talking about the HDMI output intermittently not working with L449. Is it possible this is related?

I'd hate to replace receivers if the problem is software-related.

The timers firing an hour early and an improper booting cycle sounds like hardware to me, like maybe the drive is bad and the config data used to set the correct time zone and other required OS functions is corrupted. Swap out the DVR and make notes on all the diagnostic data on the new unit when you get it up and running.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)