722 Failure

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

NoBoB

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2006
I have a 4 year old, owned 722 that seems to have failed. I think it may have overheard our discussions about getting a Hopper system, became despondent, and committed suicide or something.

The video froze, and the unit spontaneously rebooted. It made the normal fan ramp up/down, and seems to have awakened enough for the TV to see a signal (at least, the TV's blue 'no signal' screen goes away) on the component outputs (no HDMI on that TV), but nothing happens after that. There's no output on either of the modulator's channels either. Every once in a while, the green LED comes on for a bit, then goes back off. I left it unplugged overnight to be absolutely sure it wasn't overheated or something, but in the morning it did the same thing.

Is there any way to determine if this is a HDD failure or the DVR itself? I'd think if the drive failed, I'd at least get an error to that effect, but I don't know enough about the boot sequence to know. Will the receiver start with no HDD present?

I have another one about 6 months younger. I'd better get everything I might want on it moved to the EHD before it drops dead too :)

I have a 4 year old, owned 722 that seems to have failed. I think it may have overheard our discussions about getting a Hopper system, became despondent, and committed suicide or something.

The video froze, and the unit spontaneously rebooted. It made the normal fan ramp up/down, and seems to have awakened enough for the TV to see a signal (at least, the TV's blue 'no signal' screen goes away) on the component outputs (no HDMI on that TV), but nothing happens after that. There's no output on either of the modulator's channels either. Every once in a while, the green LED comes on for a bit, then goes back off. I left it unplugged overnight to be absolutely sure it wasn't overheated or something, but in the morning it did the same thing.

Is there any way to determine if this is a HDD failure or the DVR itself? I'd think if the drive failed, I'd at least get an error to that effect, but I don't know enough about the boot sequence to know. Will the receiver start with no HDD present?

I have another one about 6 months younger. I'd better get everything I might want on it moved to the EHD before it drops dead too :)

It does sound like the receiver is gone if you are unable to get the green light to stay on. If you would like me to assist you with setting up for a replacement unit, please PM me your account or phone number. Thank you!

Thanks Mary, but if I replace it, it will be with a Hopper. I was hoping for a way to use it as just a receiver if the drive is bad to hold us over until we convert, but if the unit itself has quit, then it's done for.

Usually when HD fails you can still watch TV but can't access specialty functions pause, rewind etc. Take Marys offer and get the replacement. SOON is an important word in the DISH vocabulary just because Hopper is coming "soon" dosen't mean it won't have bugs or even when it will arrive.

Well, the Hopper is coming the 15th. There is no more SOON. Retailers already have stock and are ready to install. I'm not saying the receiver is not going to have bugs from the start but you will be able to get it starting on the 15th.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)