722 HD output

My TV is also 720. So, my question is will my TV or the 622/722 do a better job of converting 1080 to 720? Is that even a reasonable question?

The best thing to do is to set it at each resolution and decide which looks better to you. Your particular eye and brand of TV makes the difference.

There are several things in play here. The first is whether the HD is received in 720p or 1080i by E* from the source. E* passes along whatever it receives to your receiver which then rescales, if necessary, to whatever resolution you set for the output. Second, your HDTV has a native resolution. It will be either 720p, 1080i, or 1080p. No matter what you feed it, the set's scaler will create the native resolution. If you feed a 720p native resolution set a 720p input, the scaler doesn't have to do anything. If you feed it 1080i, it will scale to 720p. If you have a 1080p set, and feed it either 720p or 1080i, the set will scale to its native 1080p. All the E* receiver does is scale its output to either 720p or 1080i or whatever resolution you choose before passing the signal to the HDTV. Overall it probably makes very little difference whether you set the E* receiver to output 720p or 1080i. It may be the case the E* receiver's scaler is better than your set's or v.v. I would actually prefer that the E* receiver pass the source resolution and let my set do the scaling. The best suggestion I would make is to try both the 720p and the 1080i settings and see which one you like the best.

There are several things in play here. The first is whether the HD is received in 720p or 1080i by E* from the source. E* passes along whatever it receives to your receiver which then rescales, if necessary, to whatever resolution you set for the output. Second, your HDTV has a native resolution. It will be either 720p, 1080i, or 1080p. No matter what you feed it, the set's scaler will create the native resolution. If you feed a 720p native resolution set a 720p input, the scaler doesn't have to do anything. If you feed it 1080i, it will scale to 720p. If you have a 1080p set, and feed it either 720p or 1080i, the set will scale to its native 1080p. All the E* receiver does is scale its output to either 720p or 1080i or whatever resolution you choose before passing the signal to the HDTV. Overall it probably makes very little difference whether you set the E* receiver to output 720p or 1080i. It may be the case the E* receiver's scaler is better than your set's or v.v. I would actually prefer that the E* receiver pass the source resolution and let my set do the scaling. The best suggestion I would make is to try both the 720p and the 1080i settings and see which one you like the best.

I was actually wondering if there was a way to set the receiver to pass on the native resolution to the TV, so like ESPN will be 720p, but NBC would be 1080i. That way the source wouldn't have to be scaled twice. I am pretty sure that D* receivers have the option to do this.

I thought I read at one time that all HD LIL were converted to 720p to reduce the bandwidth required of the transponders. Was that ever true? Is it true now? I'm pretty sure Dish passes the original resolution of channels like ESPN (720p) and HDNet (1080i) and MPEG-2 locals (RIP) were as broadcast and that was one reason for the limit of 4 per transponder, then?

That would make the answer to which resolution to use depend on whether you are watching those or the LIL. (This is a question.)

With MPEG-4, why can't we have more of the locals per transponder/spot beam including PBS and CW?

-Ken

I thought I read at one time that all HD LIL were converted to 720p to reduce the bandwidth required of the transponders. Was that ever true? Is it true now? I'm pretty sure Dish passes the original resolution of channels like ESPN (720p) and HDNet (1080i) and MPEG-2 locals (RIP) were as broadcast and that was one reason for the limit of 4 per transponder, then?

That would make the answer to which resolution to use depend on whether you are watching those or the LIL. (This is a question.)

With MPEG-4, why can't we have more of the locals per transponder/spot beam including PBS and CW?

-Ken

If you're talking about only including the 4 big nets on the locals, that's because there isn't sufficient TP space for all locals on spot beams currently. More than 4 locals can be placed on a spot beam transponder. Here in FL all of the Tampa and Miami-Ft. Pierce-West Palm Beach HD locals are on the same beam.