722 HD REPLACEMENT QUESTION

larryt7676

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2009
canada
quick question my hd died in my 722 today and i have a compatible hd in my pc as my second drive
do i/should reformat it to wipe it clean before i put it in my 722 or will the 722 wipe it for me \
thanks

Why replace the drive? The original is encrypted and you will not be able to pull any thing off of it. Second, mess with the receiver and you will be charged for a new receiver.

Why replace the drive? The original is encrypted and you will not be able to pull any thing off of it. Second, mess with the receiver and you will be charged for a new receiver.
no the hard drive in the receiver died and i want to replace it with a working one i have already which happens to be my storage drive i use in my pc so it is full of stuff (i have it backed up already)so i was asking if i should erase/format that drive before i install it in my 722 which i own
hope that makes more sense

I am not sure, but I believe the HD in the 722 come with information on it that runs the 722. I would think that you would have to copy that information onto the new HD before installing it in the 722.

does anyone know a reliable site to pick up a new hard drive as the one i have is not compatible with my receiver
gotta fix this before the wife and kids revolt lol

Can you tell us who manufacture red the hard drive?

I ask because I am wondering if it might be possible to replace the manufacturer's drive with a two terabyte drive to increase the capacity of the DVR recording time.

I am already using TWO TERABYTE Western Digital My Book Essential external hard drives on all of my 722s to archive the DVR recordings. I would like to extend the internal recording time as well. If I can replace the original drive with a two terabyte drive . . .

Unfortunately our DVRs have a list of acceptable disks in firmware, and nothing else will work.

A non-answer answer... Guess I will have to take one apart and experiment a bit . . .
I thought my answer was obvious, but apparently not. So here it is in plain English. No 2TB disk models exist in the firmware, so this will not work. Nevertheless, I encourage you to experiment. You can waste a lot of time, though, if you don't have the list of disk models that exists in firmware. Similar models (the one I tried was a WD10EAVS) but with missing suffixes will not work. The model number must match exactly.

And Dish has repeatedly stated that TWO TERABYTE EXTERNAL drives do not work, either. For the record, THEY WORK PERFECTLY WELL!

Based on what you, and others have stated; how Dish treats their customers - by way of NOT communicating and NOT delivering on-time;

WE, THE SUBSCRIBERS OF DISH NETWORK PROGRAMMING, DO NOT BELIEVE ANYTHING DISH NETWORK, OR ANY OF DISH NETWORK'S EMPLOYEES, STATE ANY MORE.

Charlie says one thing. Customer dis-service says something else. One CSR says one thing. Another CSR says something completely different. The installer - because they are so poorly treated by Dish Network, state something completely different. When a software release is released, it MIGHT do what it is supposed to do - but it probably will not.

I will experiment to see what does and does not work.

I own my equipment. I have the right to experiment on it.

When Dish Network steps up to the plate and starts being HONEST with their customers - we will consider believing what they say.

After they have been HONEST for a period of about TWO YEARS, we might actually be able to trust them.

Until then, I will continue to pay my bill for the partial services I receive - based on the lack of programs promised in the packages which are no longer there any more - and watch to see how the legal action on the part of the Attorney General in Mississippi turns out because I believe that he will set a precedent for all subscribers, of all program services, which will require HONESTY on the part of those providers again.

Uhh as far as I am aware, there was a firmware update that allowed the 2TB EHD's. Doesn't mean they necessarily updated the receiver to support more hard drives internally.

However, happy experimenting, and report back with us your results.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)