722 jerky HD playback (audio is fine)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
So for the first time in 10 months I had the Jerky Playback problem with the 722 (HDMI). A search found this thread and seeing the sugested fixes I opted to turn the TV on and off rather than reboot and screw up the recording of "Survivor". This has corrected the problem. Hopefully it will be another ten months before it happens again. Thanks for the quick easy fix folks, have a good evening

I have a 722 connected via component inputs and I have had this problem occur a few times. Last night I was watching Mythbusters. When I used the skip back button the video skipping/jerky problem started. As the original poster said, when I selected the Guide, the video went back to normal (in the small window in the upper right corner), but as soon as I went back to full screen the video was skipping again. I tried a few other channels and only the HD ones were skipping.

I fixed the problem with a front panel reboot. It never occurred to me to try turning the TV off and on, I'll have to try that next time.

I have seen this occur mostly when I swap turners. The jerkiness usually disappears when I swap turners 3 or 4 times.

Same problem here. It has happened to me a few times now. Tuner one will be jerky while tuner two is fine. If I put tuner one in PiP it looks fine, but becomes jerky when fullscreen. Eventually after swapping tuners a few times it clears up.
Tuner one was only jerky on HD channels. SD looked fine. I am using HDMI.

can add me to this list now too, started a week or two ago, reboot of the receiver fixes it

this is on my 622, I haven't checked my 722, using hdmi on both

I ran into this problem again today -- what is interesting is the video output on the HDMI *AND* the component output both started stuttering at the same time, yet cycling the HDMI connection cleared up the issue on both outputs.

Sounds to me like there is some sort of issue with the scaler (the part that scales the received video resolution to the output resolution) in the ViP receivers. Jacking around with the HDMI connection might be enough to reset the scaler, which in turn fixes the problem.

I have experienced jerkiness that exactly fits the description the OP gave. There are two separate instances of it and they look very similar.

The first is directly related to ABC primetime TV shows and motion compensating frame interpolation common on 120hz TVs and has nothing to do with any Dishnetwork equipent. ABC has started dropping some frames (to time squeeze the show) which messes up the telecine sequencing that the technology needs to detect and sync with. Nothing to do here but turn off that feature on the TV. However, this only applies to some ABC shows filmed in 24fps, usually the ones aired at the 9pm eastern time block.

The second as far as I can tell has to do with a processor limitation in the 722 that I have. I used to have a 622 and never noticed this problem at all. I got the 722 in February and have only recently noticed the problem. However, it's only during sporting events on local OTA where full bitrate of the channel is used for that sports broadcast. The reason I think I've only noticed it recently is that I don't watch a lot of sports except during football season. When not football season, I'll watch something every once in a while but not often enough for me to notice a trend. Anyway, this is what I've taken notice of:

On both my local OTA 1080i stations (NBC and CBS) which are not multicasted, during football games the motion will get jerky and look somewhat like the 'dropping frames' on high motion sequences. Turning on and off the TV does not fix it. Resetting the DVR does not fix it. Changing the channel and then back to the OTA station does not fix it. Changing the DVR ouput from 1080i to 720p does not fix it. The only way to fix it is to change the channel to the satellite version of the same channel and leaving it there which is a compressed version of the same channel. In fact, this does not happen on any satellite channel.

On my local OTA 720p channels it's a little less clear. For one, ABC is multicasted here with 2 SD channels so I'm getting a compressed 720p from ABC. I watch college football on ABC a lot and I'm sure I've never seen the jerkiness here. My 720p Fox, on the other hand is like my 1080i channels in that it is not multicasted. I could almost swear that Fox is one of the first channels I noticed this on and while I can't say I've watched as much football on Fox as the other channels, I can't say that I've seen the jerkiness on Fox since I started keeping track.

What I'm describing here, I have never noticed on anything other than sports.

In any case, it seems to me that MY 722 has a problem handling high bitrate, high motion video. I did search for info on this issue and found an old thread where the OP of that thread had the identical problem to mine but it was so old that I wasn't allowed to post a reply and he never gave a resolution in that thread (might not have been this forum as I searched several am working on memory here). Anyway, anyone else notice anything quite like this?

I too experienced this problem last night. Seems like when I hit the guide button & only had a partial tv screen the picture was ok. But when exited out of the guide, the problem was there again.......but only on hd channels & not on locals received via antenna. A reboot cleared the problem until the phone rang & then a total freeze up.........no caller id nothing just a frozen picture. Another reboot and everything seemed fine the rest of the night, but not for sure since there were no more phone calls

This happens to me from time to time. Instead of a reboot I just switch the resolution and then switch it back. Fixes it every time. I am on 1080i, so I go into the resolution screen and switch it to 720p, then back to 1080i. Worked when I had it set to 720p also. Must be something with the scaler.

This happens to me from time to time. Instead of a reboot I just switch the resolution and then switch it back. Fixes it every time. I am on 1080i, so I go into the resolution screen and switch it to 720p, then back to 1080i. Worked when I had it set to 720p also. Must be something with the scaler.

I'm having the same issues as described above. Sure am glad I researched the forums here at Satellite Guys! I was all set to rip the 722 apart and poke around.

Character Zero: I tried your suggestion and it worked. Thanks for the tip. I'm wondering if a firmware fix is in order?

A simple reboot of the reciever will fix almost all video and audio problems. If yer computer is not responding a reboot will fix it. I.E. so does video and audio troubles on dish recievers so just reboot. Hold front panel power button for about 5 yo 6 seconds. Let it reacquire signal, this should fix any problems

A simple reboot of the reciever will fix almost all video and audio problems. If yer computer is not responding a reboot will fix it. I.E. so does video and audio troubles on dish recievers so just reboot. Hold front panel power button for about 5 yo 6 seconds. Let it reacquire signal, this should fix any problems

Doesn't work for the problem I described. After reboot, still jerky video on high motion high bitrate sports.

I've been having this problem for at least a week - just really noticeable today. Did a reboot and all was well again. Did a chat with Dish support and jumped through the usual hoops. The CSR was not aware of this particular issue but acknowledged it could be related to a software glitch. He was forwarding the info to engineering.

Something VERY important to remember - while SatelliteGuys is a great resource for finding solutions to problems, it should not be considered a reporting mechanism for Dish issues. If you are having equipment problems you should ALWAYS report it to Dish so they can get a better handle on the scope of the problem, even if you find a workaround here. :)

My 722k has also been stable for about 2 months now. But since Friday it started doing the exact same as described above. Frustrating.

But the software release is the same and so is the bootloader. So I can only think it was the move of a lot of the transponders done in the past few days.

But the software release is the same and so is the bootloader. So I can only think it was the move of a lot of the transponders done in the past few days.
Doubtful.

It's not anything external or more people would running into it at the same time. Most likely it's a race condition in the code where a certain sequence of events has to happen within a certain timeframe. The person who mentioned earlier in the thread that it is an issue with the scaler in the 722 is most likely correct.

This can be validated by changing the receiver resolution or cycling the HDMI connection instead of resetting the receiver itself to clear it up.

Character Zero, I've had the problem occur since my last post, and your suggestion to switch to 720p then back to 1080i fixed the problem. I like this workaround better than having to wait for the receiver to reset. :)

Glad I found this forum. Have the same problem. Very aggravating. I have to reboot the 722 3-4 times a day to fix the stuttering. I have change the setting to 720p now and all is well.

Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)