722 L449 HD playback jumps to real time when viewing recording in progress

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Cab Driver

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2004
Let me start by apologizing for the long post, but the problem is specific to a complex set of conditions.

I have experienced this problem numerous times when watching a baseball game on FSN West HD (channel 5417) recorded with a Dish Pass. Specifically, I ask to view the recording from the beginning while it is still being recorded. It starts by showing real time for a second or two and then shows the "Check back often to see if your favorite team is playing in HD" slate, which is correct given that the recording is set to start 1 minute early. I just waited patiently for the game broadcast to start but after a while (more than the 1 minute) it jumped to showing real time.

I have also experienced this if I use either forward or skip ahead to get past the slate. If I hit back while it has jumped to real time it goes back to the slate.

After a variable number of repetitions of this scenario it will eventually let me get to the beginning of the game. After that, I can view the recording just fine.

I have not seen this problem when recording games on the SD FSN West channel 417. I am guessing that the problem may be dependent on the part time nature of the HD RSNs.

Has anyone else seen this sort of unwished jump to real time when viewing a recording in progress?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom you can offer.

Rick

The channels that just show sports events and then switch to a slate operate similar to ppv channels. The older PVR721's would not even let you finish watching a recording if you paused or used skip due to the dvr being lied to about hundreds of hours of time being included in the recording.

Try setting your recording to start 0 minutes before the event so that the slate is NOT included in the beginning. See what that does.

That's a reasonable suggestion, I'll give it a try and post here with the results. The next HD broadcast on 5417 is Wednesday night. Thanks!

Last edited:
Update: Per 8bit's suggestion I changed the DishPass to start recording 0 minutes early instead of 3 minutes early.

This avoided the misbehavior, at least this time. When I asked to start over viewing the recording while it was still being recorded, it did show the slate for a second or so, but then showed the start of the broadast without going to real time.

Hopefully, this fix will work consistently. Time will tell. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Off topic: Did you know that a byte doesn't have to be 8 bits? It is on all recent computers, but some older models had other byte sizes.

Update: Per 8bit's suggestion I changed the DishPass to start recording 0 minutes early instead of 3 minutes early.

This avoided the misbehavior, at least this time. When I asked to start over viewing the recording while it was still being recorded, it did show the slate for a second or so, but then showed the start of the broadast without going to real time.

Hopefully, this fix will work consistently. Time will tell. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Off topic: Did you know that a byte doesn't have to be 8 bits? It is on all recent computers, but some older models had other byte sizes.
Yeah, text file transfers were often 7 bit but I want multimedia!

I also have noticed it happens if you record a "post game" show on SD when the game itself is blacked out(and ALL are it seams like), and have it set to record early. Just to inform you of that also.

On a side note, when will these 722s and 622 get the new software update? I have a 622 and also have the 449 software version.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts