722 rebooted

robk299

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 22, 2008
Cahokia, IL
My 722 just rebooted and was wondering is there a way to check for an error message or something that would tell me why it rebooted?

ZachS@DISH Network said:
There is not away to tell. Were you watching TV or trying to access a menu/recording when it rebooted?

Actually the box was in standby as I was messing with the tv.

My 722 just rebooted and was wondering is there a way to check for an error message or something that would tell me why it rebooted?

Check the HD temperature. If High temp is 140° or higher then the receiver is overheating. It happened to me a couple of times before I added an external fan.

How to check the temperature:

Do a Menu+6+3, select Counters and do repeated Page Down until you see the temperatures.
You will also see the last time it did an fsck or file system check, which it does on reboot.

-Ken

My temps are:
High 138
Low 102
Average 114

I was too late on fsck as it shows this morning's 3am check. I also noticed I have firmware L722, so is it possible that it rebooted to update or it rebooted because it updated, like how a Windows update might require a reboot?

It looks like I was part of the early batch of L722 roll outs, so maybe it's a bug if none of the above.

My temps are:
High 138
Low 102
Average 114
I believe you are on the verge of overheating, at least at one point you were when High hit 138°. Everyone must understand, the HD is not the hottest part in these receivers. The HD is simply the most convenient place for Dish to monitor the temperature because its free as its built in into every HD.

Your Average temp looks good, which means you either recently increased the air flow around the receiver or you turned off the power for at least 20 minutes. The Low and Average displayed readings are being updated frequently and the High temp is being updated very s l o w l y (every 2-3 weeks). Unfortunately, Dish would not admit that these receivers tend to overheat because of poor internal air circulation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)