722 Receiver Signal Loss on TV 2 only

cruiser83

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
Hi Folks, I could use some advice or input on a problem I am having with my VIP722 receiver. For the past several weeks I am receiving signal loss (screen message 12-12-11) on TV2 only. There is NO problem with TV1. The problem is very intermittent, but it seemed to me that it was most frequent when tuning into the local network channels, this is not always the case, but that is when I can most often recreate the issue. I think it is also only happening on the HD channels, not SD.
If I do nothing and just leave the warning message on the screen within a minute or so the warning will disappear and the channel will tune in. Or I can change channel and go back and sometimes it will then tune immediately. The frustration is that my DVR timers wont work when it occurs and I am missing out on recordings.
I contacted Dish and after some discussion on the phone the rep set up an appointment for a tech visit. The tech arrived on Saturday and was unable to find a problem, however he did remount the mast (it was a tad wobbly before) and peaked the system, which did improve signal strength. However, while he was still here, the problem continued. At that time he installed a higher frequency diplexer (I think that's what he called it?) and at that point we messed around with the system for 10 to 15 minutes and we could not duplicate the problem again. So he said he would note on the account the next step is a new receiver and he left. However, it has now happened twice since the tech left, which is an improvement in frequency, but obviously there is still a problem. Any suggestions before I make the jump to a new receiver? I am not opposed to a new receiver, but I have some recordings I hate to lose so I would have to buy an ext. hard drive first to save my recordings.

Other tid bits that may or may not be helpful, our system was installed when we moved in about 7 months ago, New dish installed on roof and the receiver was new at that time also because we upgraded to HD when we moved. The tech on that visit installed brand new coax to TV 2. However, the coax from the dish to diplexer to TV 1 was not replaced. It was existing from previous owners dish set up.
I also ran a check switch, everything looks good.

Check signal levels on tuner 2 in the point dish menu to see if they are lower than the signal level on tuner 1. check this on several transponders.
The tuner 2 operates at a higher frequency than tuner 1 and is more prone to issues if every thing is not up to snuff. i.e. loose or bad connections, long cable runs, bad diplexer, faulty cable etc.....

Tune to a channel with known issues and check levels with the point dish menu. this way you are checking the transponder used for that particular channel.

GL

Reactions: oljim
Check signal levels on tuner 2 in the point dish menu to see if they are lower than the signal level on tuner 1. check this on several transponders.
The tuner 2 operates at a higher frequency than tuner 1 and is more prone to issues if every thing is not up to snuff. i.e. loose or bad connections, long cable runs, bad diplexer, faulty cable etc.....

Tune to a channel with known issues and check levels with the point dish menu. this way you are checking the transponder used for that particular channel.

GL

You know, it's interesting you say this, because I did notice different signal levels on tuner 2 from different transponders compared to tuner 1 before I even called Dish/Tech visit, etc. And I specifically told/asked the tech about that and he said something along the lines that it didn't matter, etc. His answer didn't set well with me from a common sense point of view. I have not compared signal strengths since his visit, I will do that this evening when I get home. If I find various signal levels between the two tuners I think I am going to call dish for a second tech visit before jumping to replacing the receiver. I very well may have got a less than stellar tech on the initial visit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts