722 remote: Controlling Toshiba A2 HDDVD?

haertig

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 21, 2004
Has anyone found a code that allows the 722 remote to control a Toshiba A2 HDDVD player? None of them have worked for me.

Despite the lack of a backlight and its inability to learn commands, the 722 remote is hands above every other universal remote I've used. The ergonomics blow all the others away IMHO. I just wish I could make it work with this new Toshiba A2.

If Dish would upgrade this remote slightly with learning, maybe macros, control a few more devices, and a backlight, I think they'd have something that could easily compete with most every 3rd party remote out there. They could sell it stand-alone.

I agree, I love the feel of the E* dvr remote. To bad it doesnt have a learning function. I have 6 things in my living room that I had remotes for. Went to Target bought a learning Universal for 25 bucks and now have one remote instead of 6. I don't like the "feel" as much as the E* remote, but I now can turn on my tv, sat, home theater with one button and one remote instead of three!!!

Has anyone found a code that allows the 722 remote to control a Toshiba A2 HDDVD player? None of them have worked for me.

Despite the lack of a backlight and its inability to learn commands, the 722 remote is hands above every other universal remote I've used. The ergonomics blow all the others away IMHO. I just wish I could make it work with this new Toshiba A2.

If Dish would upgrade this remote slightly with learning, maybe macros, control a few more devices, and a backlight, I think they'd have something that could easily compete with most every 3rd party remote out there. They could sell it stand-alone.

I don't mean to burst your bubble, but I'd wait a bit before getting too comfortable with the HD-A2. I bought one on Sunday @ Walmart (the super cheap special price) and connected it Monday evening. I tested it out w/ several diferent standard DVD's. Some I autohored & recorded and some store bought. I guess 5-6 total. It played 2 out of the 4 self made ones, puked at the menu structures on others & skipped parts of chapters as well. Played 1 of two store bought ones, then on the last disc I tried, made a horrible "grinding" sound & said "no disc". I did the firmware upgrade thinking that would fix the not playing home done dvd's since the version in it was 1.2 & the update was 2.5. Wrong, boxed it up this morning & taking it back this week some time.

btw, all the discs that wouldn't play or had menu issues, still play fine in my old Pioneer player that's about 4 years old. & the disc that made the grinding sound didn't get hurt & still plays.

Rob

I don't mean to burst your bubble, but I'd wait a bit before getting too comfortable with the HD-A2. I bought one on Sunday @ Walmart (the super cheap special price) and connected it Monday evening. I tested it out w/ several diferent standard DVD's. Some I autohored & recorded and some store bought. I guess 5-6 total. It played 2 out of the 4 self made ones, puked at the menu structures on others & skipped parts of chapters as well. Played 1 of two store bought ones, then on the last disc I tried, made a horrible "grinding" sound & said "no disc". I did the firmware upgrade thinking that would fix the not playing home done dvd's since the version in it was 1.2 & the update was 2.5. Wrong, boxed it up this morning & taking it back this week some time.

btw, all the discs that wouldn't play or had menu issues, still play fine in my old Pioneer player that's about 4 years old. & the disc that made the grinding sound didn't get hurt & still plays.

Rob

Pish... I also got the A2 at Wally-World for 98 bucks, and I've thrown a lot of disks at it, not issues. I too upgraded the firmware, and even tested with a photo DVD I made on my PC. No issues. I don't think your experience is indicative of what everyone can expect from the A2. Its a great player

I also picked this up to supplement my PS3's Blu-ray. I am a little disappointed with how slow this thing is to startup. I have not found any disc that it wouldn't play, but it is definitely second generation tech. I am waiting on the Hero's season 1 HDDVD's from netflix to see how well it looks. Last night I watched Reign On Me which is blu-ray and I was blown away once again at how great these HD movies look. I hope the A2 does as good a job as the PS3.

I'd highly, highly, recommend the Logitech Harmony 880, it's a little on the pricey side, but you can find some good deals on it. Controls the 722 and A2 w/o any issues...

I don't mean to burst your bubble...
No bubble-bursting here. Sorry you had problems. The grinding noise sounds like you definitely had a bad player. I'd return it for a replacement. I'd certainly exchange mine if I heard that. I wouldn't return it, I'd exchange it. Every manufacturer ends up with some individual units that have problems at some point.

You having problems with your home-authored movies doesn't worry me so much. I would pretty much expect that with any player. Your old Pioneer playing the disks does not imply the disks are 100% correctly authored by whatever software you used. There may be little authoring hiccups that the Pioneer will digest but the Toshiba won't. Similar to throwing bad HTML at either IE or Firefox. One may display it better than the other, and that changes depending on what bad HTML is thrown at them, but the underlying problem is bad HTML in the first place, not the browser. You could have an issue similar to that going on with your authoring/Toshiba problem.

Make sure they were not +r discs either. My old standalone dvd recorder uses +r which the A2 can't play. Redid a couple on -R and everything has played great. It has to be the best hundred bucks I have spent on electronics.

All of mine have to be finalized in order to play in my other dvd players and I have tried 7 and none of the +R's will play. Not a big deal it is just stuff for the kids so I can burn another copy if really needed or just use the older player for them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)