722 Resolution

GRAMN

Original poster
Dec 20, 2007
I just had our Dish switched to hd and have it hooked up to a Sony 46v3000. The Dish installer had the output set on off-air and 480. Don't remember if it was i or p. I've played around trying 480, 720 and 1080. Don't know that I can see a great deal of difference. From what I've been reading it sounds like a person should just try the different outputs and see which one looks the best. Am I correct in this?
Also trying switching tv between hdmi and component cables. Doesn't seem to be any big difference here either.

I did notice some difference between HDMI and RCA, but it's not huge. Audio quality is much better with HDMI.

I have my 722 output to what my TV can handle, which is 720p. Otherwise, things were off center. What can your TV handle? That's what I would set the dish box at.

I did notice some difference between HDMI and RCA, but it's not huge. Audio quality is much better with HDMI.

I have my 722 output to what my TV can handle, which is 720p. Otherwise, things were off center. What can your TV handle? That's what I would set the dish box at.

If you are on an HD channel there should be a huge difference between RCA (I assume you are talking about the yellow composite cable) and HDMI or component. If you don't see a huge differene then something isn't set up correctly.

If you are on an HD channel there should be a huge difference between RCA (I assume you are talking about the yellow composite cable) and HDMI or component. If you don't see a huge differene then something isn't set up correctly.

I couldn't tell much of a difference, but I don't have 20/20 vision either.

If things are setup correctly, you'll notice a difference between 1080i and 480i/p no matter how bad your eyes are! My eyes are terrible and the difference is astounding.

Check and make sure the installer used an HDMI or component cable to connect the box to your TV. Component would have 3 RCA connectors with red, green, and blue sheaths. HDMI would be just a single cable with a flat connector.

If the cable used is coax or has a yellow sheathed connector, they did not plug it in properly.

Your TV will do 1080p, so 720p or 1080i via component or HDMI should be what you set the VIP722 output at.

I was just wondering that since I don't believe there is a 1080p output option on Dish receivers. Which should they use??

I guess that gets into the whole 720p "faster refresh rate" vs. 1080i "more lines" argument?

Your TV will do 1080p, so 720p or 1080i via component or HDMI should be what you set the VIP722 output at.

Just curious, my local Dish dealer and tv shop guy was telling me that many of the hd channels were 720p. What is a channel like Discovery 720 or 1080i? What about the hd channels--the ones you're watching because of the great picture and not because of the program? I'm in Mn. and getting the local channels out of Mpls. I assume when a person is watching the local news or weather that is the same as whatever ABC, NBC, etc. is broadcasting in. Thanks for the responses-still trying to get all this stuff figured out.

I was just wondering that since I don't believe there is a 1080p output option on Dish receivers. Which should they use??

I guess that gets into the whole 720p "faster refresh rate" vs. 1080i "more lines" argument?
His 1080p set should scale the 1080i input to 1080p. I think that would be the best bet.

Just curious, my local Dish dealer and tv shop guy was telling me that many of the hd channels were 720p. What is a channel like Discovery 720 or 1080i? What about the hd channels--the ones you're watching because of the great picture and not because of the program? I'm in Mn. and getting the local channels out of Mpls. I assume when a person is watching the local news or weather that is the same as whatever ABC, NBC, etc. is broadcasting in. Thanks for the responses-still trying to get all this stuff figured out.

Gramn,

Most of the HD channels on Dish Network are 1080i, the only ones that are 720p are ESPN/ESPN2, and if you get your Locals via Dish ABC. All the rest are 1080i.

John

I just had our Dish switched to hd and have it hooked up to a Sony 46v3000. The Dish installer had the output set on off-air and 480. Don't remember if it was i or p. I've played around trying 480, 720 and 1080. Don't know that I can see a great deal of difference. From what I've been reading it sounds like a person should just try the different outputs and see which one looks the best. Am I correct in this?
Also trying switching tv between hdmi and component cables. Doesn't seem to be any big difference here either.

HDTV picture quality can be compromised in many ways. HD settings on the receiver and TV, connections, and color calibration of your TV, all have a great effect. Check this out:

Do's & Don'ts - HDTV Self Help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)