722 SD output doesn't fill screen

RGBell

Original poster
Nov 7, 2007
I have a VIP-722 DVR connected to a Sony KV-36XBR400 television
via component cables. The TV has a 4:3 display that is capable of 1080i.
My HD programming displays correctly, filling the screen horizontally with
a correct aspect ratio (16:9). My problem is that standard definition
programming is not displayed correctly. The video does not fill the screen
in normal mode. There is about a 3 inch black border around the display
video. If I use the "Format" button on the remote to change the aspect
ratio, none of the options will display the standard definition content
correctly. "Stretch" fills the screen horizontally but the image is
distorted. "Partial Zoom" fills the screen better but cuts off some of the
video on the top and bottom. "Zoom" cuts off even more video. I have tried
the 16:9, 4:3#1 and 4:3#2 modes in the DVR setup and there is no change in
the Standard Definition output. Why will the 722 not properly display
Standard Def video like my Charter DVR did? What can I do to correct this?

It is correct

A 4 X 3 image is not designed to fill a 16 X 9 screen. If it fills the screen then it has to be stretched or cropped on top & bottom. So if Charter was doing this then it was set to distort the image. Plain & Simple 4 X 3 isn't 16 x 9.

I have a VIP-722 DVR connected to a Sony KV-36XBR400 television
via component cables. The TV has a 4:3 display that is capable of 1080i.
My HD programming displays correctly, filling the screen horizontally with
a correct aspect ratio (16:9). My problem is that standard definition
programming is not displayed correctly. The video does not fill the screen
in normal mode. There is about a 3 inch black border around the display
video. If I use the "Format" button on the remote to change the aspect
ratio, none of the options will display the standard definition content
correctly. "Stretch" fills the screen horizontally but the image is
distorted. "Partial Zoom" fills the screen better but cuts off some of the
video on the top and bottom. "Zoom" cuts off even more video. I have tried
the 16:9, 4:3#1 and 4:3#2 modes in the DVR setup and there is no change in
the Standard Definition output. Why will the 722 not properly display
Standard Def video like my Charter DVR did? What can I do to correct this?

I, too have the 722 & a Sony R60XBR2 set. I have the Sony set to the "Wide Mode-Wide Zoom" & the 722 set to "Normal" mode. All my chs. come in fine and fill the screen. For a reason unknown to me only the guide comes up too wide-(Stretched) & I use the Sony remote putting the TV in "Full" mode for the guide to fit properly.

I called Sony and tech says it should always be in the Wide Zoom mode. I called Dish and they have no clue as to why the guide won't fit properly. Adjust the Sony like I said, adjust the 722 to Full mode & see how the chs. fit. I think you should be OK like me. Hope this helps.:rolleyes:

You have a 4:3 TV set, & I bet you have your 722 set to output at 1080.

When the TV receives a HD signal it switches to 16:9 mode, which has bars on the top & bottom.

It does this even if the program is not HD because the 722 is upscaling the program to 1080, so the program is 4:3, the TV switches to 16:9 creating a black border all around the picture.

Your cable box probably had a native pass thru, meaning that if the program was SD the box passed it to the TV in SD, the 722 does not have a native pass thru, everything is upscaled to the resolution set in the menu.

As you know, even if you use the stretch/zoom modes on the Dish remote you will have bars on the top & bottom because the TV is in 16:9 mode on a 4:3 set because the TV is receiving a 1080 signal.

These 4:3 HD sets were a terrible idea, & if/when dish puts a native pass thru option on the 722 that will solve your problem.

I, too have the 722 & a Sony R60XBR2 set.

You have a 16:9 TV, the OP has a 4:3 HD set.

My TV doesn't have any options for Wide Mode. This is a 4:3 TV that will display 16:9 with black bars top and bottom. It only has an option for Auto 16:9, which is unavailable (greyed out) but it turned on for the component input I am using. It is supposed to set the TV to 16:9 mode automatically if it receives a 16:9 signal. It is receiving a 16:9 signal from the 722 when I am tuned to a 4:3 Standard Def channel. The video appears in the center of the screen with black borders all around. It is scaled down to fit within the 16:9 area. If I hit the browse button on the remote, the banner appears across the entire screen, filling the full 16:9 area horizontally. Clearly, the problem is that the 722 is sending a HiDef 16:9 signal when tuned to a 4:3 StdDef channel. I guess I have to choose between watching a smaller screen and watching a cropped screen. Since my Charter DVR sent an appropriate aspect signal for each type of display this is a 722 problem.
If anyone has any other suggestions I would appreciate your help. Dish CS has been no help. They just follow their script and send canned messages.

My TV doesn't have any options for Wide Mode. This is a 4:3 TV that will display 16:9 with black bars top and bottom. It only has an option for Auto 16:9, which is unavailable (greyed out) but it turned on for the component input I am using. It is supposed to set the TV to 16:9 mode automatically if it receives a 16:9 signal. It is receiving a 16:9 signal from the 722 when I am tuned to a 4:3 Standard Def channel. The video appears in the center of the screen with black borders all around. It is scaled down to fit within the 16:9 area. If I hit the browse button on the remote, the banner appears across the entire screen, filling the full 16:9 area horizontally. Clearly, the problem is that the 722 is sending a HiDef 16:9 signal when tuned to a 4:3 StdDef channel. I guess I have to choose between watching a smaller screen and watching a cropped screen. Since my Charter DVR sent an appropriate aspect signal for each type of display this is a 722 problem.
If anyone has any other suggestions I would appreciate your help. Dish CS has been no help. They just follow their script and send canned messages.

Your problem is the 4:3 TV. I don't know what to tell you as I have a 16:9 top of the line XBR set.

My TV doesn't have any options for Wide Mode. This is a 4:3 TV that will display 16:9 with black bars top and bottom. It only has an option for Auto 16:9, which is unavailable (greyed out) but it turned on for the component input I am using. It is supposed to set the TV to 16:9 mode automatically if it receives a 16:9 signal.

Set your Sony back to 4:3 and the 722 to 4:3, 2 or 3. The Sony should
see a letter boxed hd signal and a fullscreen sd.

Get a new 16:9 tv. Nothing wrong with the 722. It's just designed to work with a 16:9 HD tv.

The other thing you can do is hook up the S-video to another input on your tv. When you want to watch a SD channel switch your tv to the other input. It's quicker then going into the menu and changing all the settings. This is what I do for my older 50".

I had the same problem with a Sony HDTV 4:3 and the 622 receiver. I was able to go into the service mode and there was a setting that allowed me to fix the problem. I found the service mode manual at AVSforums.com and there's a huge thread about the service mode for Sony TVs.

Having said, I just ended up selling that TV and got me a 16:9 Toshiba Regza. I'm very happy with the decision.