722 Spontaneous Reboot

misbehaving

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
I'm a new Dish customer (3 weeks) and I have a 722 in my living room and a 222 in the playroom. A couple times over the past three weeks my wife had reported that the 722 would suddenly turn itself off. She couldn't get it to come back on, and then suddenly it would come back on by itself. She watches TV late at night and I blew this off as some kind of inactivity timer issue and there wasn't much I could do until I witnessed

But then it happened to me last night as I was watching a re-run of Bones. The TV screen went blank and I noticed that the lights on the 722 are all off. I grabbed the remote and attempted to turn it back on with no affect. A minute later all of the LED's on the front of the unit flashed on and then off again. Then suddenly the ACQUIRING SIGNAL notice appeared on the TV screen and the unit appeared to be back on. After acquiring the satellite signal, everything returned to normal.

I ran a search in the 622 known bug thread and all I found was one entry that claimed spontaneous reboots is a known, unpublicized issue that DISH is aware of. Anybody have anymore information on this?

MB :)

Is your 622 in an open, ventilated area? Heat build up will cause this. Just a thought.

Yep, check the temps

I agree, the bugger is probably hot. Unless it is sitting out in the open that is most likely the problem.

Search the posts here for "overheating". There are cooling solutions available for a box stashed in a piece of furniture. Whoda thunk anyone would want to do that?

And don't forget that these units get updates from Dish at 3am. Once updated they reboot (they will not respond to remote commands at this time) and reload the program guide.

I'm a new Dish customer (3 weeks) and I have a 722 in my living room and a 222 in the playroom. A couple times over the past three weeks my wife had reported that the 722 would suddenly turn itself off. She couldn't get it to come back on, and then suddenly it would come back on by itself. She watches TV late at night and I blew this off as some kind of inactivity timer issue and there wasn't much I could do until I witnessed

But then it happened to me last night as I was watching a re-run of Bones. The TV screen went blank and I noticed that the lights on the 722 are all off. I grabbed the remote and attempted to turn it back on with no affect. A minute later all of the LED's on the front of the unit flashed on and then off again. Then suddenly the ACQUIRING SIGNAL notice appeared on the TV screen and the unit appeared to be back on. After acquiring the satellite signal, everything returned to normal.
You are not alone. This happened to me two nights ago. First time I have notice it happen. Right during the ending basketball game in the movie "Finding Forrester". Aaaargh!

Yup, this has happened on my 722 a few times also. My receiver is out in the open with plenty of cooling. I was having a signal issue with 129, but once I fixed that, the reboots seemed to have stopped.....for now.

Mine reboots here and there, several times a week, seems to happen mostly when the TV is on Foxnews, which is generally during the day since there isn't a whole heck of a lot on daytime programming. It'll just suddenly kinda lock up and then it goes dark and reboots itself.

On HDMI you don't see anything until the box comes back up. I'm not sure if there's a standard Dish Network boot screen on the composite or not like on my 721... I wish there was something on HDMI to let you know the box is starting back up.

On HDMI you don't see anything until the box comes back up. I'm not sure if there's a standard Dish Network boot screen on the composite or not like on my 721... I wish there was something on HDMI to let you know the box is starting back up.

I am connected via component cables and you don't see anything until the ACQUIRING SIGNAL box reappears.

Update: My 722 went kaput last night. When I work up this morning the only light on the unit that was lit was the TV1 light. Then the light went out and the front was completely dark. Then a few minutes later the TV1 light came on again, and then immediately went off again. This continued for several minutes. I finally unplugged the unit until I could deal with it at lunch (it was 6 AM).

At lunch I plugged the unit back in and the same thing contunued. TV1 light on, off, on, off, on, off. The remote control had no affect. I held down the power button for 10 seconds, still no affect. No other lights were lit. I checked the TV connected to TV2 and nothing but snow appeared there.

I have a call into the tech who installed my system. This is EXTREMELY disappointing!:mad:

Yeah that is definitely a bummer.. On the plus side at least you're not seeing things or going nuts.... Seems there's something wrong with your receiver.

What is disappointing is that this unit has only been in service for 2 weeks and the 722 in general is a brand new piece of equipment. My confidence in a company that engineers and manufactures a new piece of equipment that has fatal flaws out of the gate takes a severe hit.

and people wonder why I never recommend a version of windows until after sp1 is released...

just hang in there... Dish does do a fair job with there receivers...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)