722 Start up delay?

srq2msp

Original poster
Mar 30, 2007
Happy holidays all! This may be a FAQ but I had to ask. My 722 when it first starts up wont let you change channels or look at the guide at all. It's like its froze up for a few minutes. After that it works fine but is the delay at start up normal?

Are you talking about when it is booting up and searching for the satellite (if so, that is normal) or after it has gone through that whole process?

I've noticed that my 722 takes "quite awhile" to start doing everything when it's first powered on; During the process though I usually get no audio or video.

What it does is you turn it on and whatever the last channel was you were watching that will be on but you cannot change channels or see the guide. After a minute or so it works fine. I dont see a screen saying it is looking for a satellite or anything like that.

What it does is you turn it on and whatever the last channel was you were watching that will be on but you cannot change channels or see the guide. After a minute or so it works fine. I dont see a screen saying it is looking for a satellite or anything like that.

That is not normal. You have a problem and need to get the box swapped.

Perhaps IR interference

Perhaps you are experiencing IR interference from your TV just as I do.

My situation: I turn on my LCD TV and 722 satellite box at the same time. The currently tuned channel appears and seems to be playing fine but I can't change channels, bring up the guide, etc., with the remote control for about 30 seconds. Every so often a command from the remote will work during this period of time, but rarely. So I end up pushing a button (usually "Guide") about 30 times trying to get it going. Finally it works and works fine from that point on.

I recently figured out the problem: The LCD TV's fluorescent backlights emit a lot of IR while warming up that interfere with using the IR remote control on the 722. Once the TV is warmed up (~30 sec's in my case) everything works fine.

The solution: Set up the 722 to use the additional RF remote control. If you're already using it for TV-2, you can get an additional one for TV-1.

So... do you have an LCD TV??? If yes and you think this may be the problem you can test in several ways. 1) You can try leaving the TV on for a long time (i.e., warmed up already) and then turn on the 722... it should work right off the bat in this case. 2) You can try turning them both on but throwing a blanket over the TV to shield the IR emissions from getting into the room, which should allow the 722 IR remote to work.

...turning them both on but throwing a blanket over the TV to shield the IR emissions from getting into the room, which should allow the 722 IR remote to work.
...but with the unfortunate side-effect of not actually being able to see what it's doing... :)

How do you turn off the receiver at night? Do you turn it off with a light switch or does it shut off when you turn off your TV or AV Receiver? If so that's your problem. You are un-nessecerily rebooting your Dish receiver. You should leave all Dish receivers plugged in at night to receive the nightly updates and if you do you will find that your receiver will show a picture and hear sound much sooner when you turn it "on".

To "DVDDAD": Not sure if you're replying to me or the original poster, but in my case I turn off the 722 with the remote and turn it on with the remote. It turns on nearly instantly, but as I discussed there is definitely IR interference from the LCD for about 30 seconds. If I turn on the TV and then wait, say, a minute before turning on the 722 it does not having any issues. This is a well known effect and seems to be pretty common with the 722 and nearby large LCDs.

My suspicion is that the original poster's startup delay (not being able to change channels or view guide) is in fact because the remote control has been made ineffective by IR interference from the TV.

To "Pepper": Of course you can always peek under the blanket or listen for channel changes to make sure the remote is working.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)