722 to 211k input question

mhowie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2007
As a result of the upcoming price increases I am planning on replacing my second 722 with a 211k. I am not at home at the moment so I can not eyeball the back of my 722, but I recall it has two satellite inputs. The 211k has one.

Is the final action (aside from authorizing the receiver) in swapping the receivers as simple as connecting one of the satellite inputs currently going into the 722 to the 211k input (and the other, now unused input cable would/could dangle)?

Thanks,

As a result of the upcoming price increases I am planning on replacing my second 722 with a 211k. I am not at home at the moment so I can not eyeball the back of my 722, but I recall it has two satellite inputs. The 211k has one.

Is the final action (aside from authorizing the receiver) in swapping the receivers as simple as connecting one of the satellite inputs currently going into the 722 to the 211k input (and the other, now unused input cable would/could dangle)?

Thanks,

Yes. I suspect you likely have a separator that has a single cable to it and then two short cables from the separator to the two SAT inputs on the 722 receiver. If so, you don't need the separator. Just connect the single cable coming into the separator to the SAT input of the 211 and eliminate the separator altogether.

Thanks for the quick reply. That makes sense and is consistent with what I recall seeing before. I will confirm this evening.

On a related note... that is the 211k... my understanding is adding an EHD will provide DVR functionality similar to that in a 612 (essentially the difference is in the location of the disk drive- internal to the receiver vs. external and connected via USB)?

Last edited:
Well, the 612 has 2 satellite tuners and one output, but the 211k only has 1 satellite tuner. I believe both have 1 OTA tuner (I know the 211k does as I have one, but I'm not sure about the 612) and one output.

Be aware, that you can move your EHD between two ViP722 units, but you will not be able to move an EHD between a ViP722 & a ViP211. Different systems. And each has a one time setup charge of about $40.

Well, the 612 has 2 satellite tuners and one output, but the 211k only has 1 satellite tuner. I believe both have 1 OTA tuner (I know the 211k does as I have one, but I'm not sure about the 612) and one output.

Yes, the 612 has 2 sat and 1 ota.

If you connect an ota signal to the 211k you can record two things at once while watching a third recorded show.

I decided to go with the 612 instead of the 211k to replace my second 722. Although $3/month more than the 211k, the comments about the capability to transfer an EHD between the 612 and 722 (and not the 211k) caused me to reconsider. The 612 is also "Dish Remote Access" capable and is UHF controlled (unlike the 211k) and these factors swayed me in its direction.

The lone negative I can see with the 612 is its historical durability concerns, but hopefully I get a good unit!

Thanks for all the input...

I just got rid of my 612 for a 722k because the fan in it would come on at high speed while I was watching a program. It would rev up and stay on for about 5 minutes and then go back to normal. Also I think the hard drive caused the picture to stutter sometimes and it used to lock up and reboot once in awhile but I think it quit doing the rebooting. I think they're not that good at all. If you can avoid it I recommend not getting it. But you might get a good one. It's to bad the cost of a 722k is going up so high. I only have 1 box so the price increase won't affect me that I know of. Oh and I forgot, the remote would eat batteries like it was nothing. Total junk.

It's likely the fan in your new 722K will do the same. That happens if the unit gets too hot. Best cure for that is to make sure there is plenty of air space on both sides, and it's not within an enclosed cabinet.

It's likely the fan in your new 722K will do the same. That happens if the unit gets too hot. Best cure for that is to make sure there is plenty of air space on both sides, and it's not within an enclosed cabinet.

The fan in my 722k has been quiet and it's in the same place in my entertainment center. When I first got that 612 it started acting up. There is a big difference in the quality of those boxes. I think Dish Network might be wise to phase out the 612 altogether and maybe they will once they release the 922.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)