722 to 722K with OTA mod worth it?

I got a 722k with OTA module for $29.99 to replace my 622, plus $10 off my bill for 12 months and my monthly bill remains totally unchanged, except for the $10 off.

Hd Absolute + locals = $34.99
12 Adjustments @ = $10.00 ea.
1 - 722K = $5.98 DVR Service fee
1 - 211K = $7.00 Leased receiver fee
1 - 211 = $7.00 Leased receiver fee
1 - 301 = $5.00 Solo receiver

TOTAL = $49.97 + tax per month for the next 12 months

My monthly bill will be about $56 per month.

If you look at the Broadcom chip versions, I dont think the newest one in the 722k has an PQ improvements. While they look the same, the SW was written from scratch for the 722k, which is why it prob looks better.

The pq looked sharper to me on my 722k compared to the 722 I had on the same tv minutes before. I noticed an improvement in pq when I went from the 622 to the 722 before that.

Do you think Dish would swap out a 622 with a bad HDMI connector for a 722K?

If that is all they have to rma your old 622. I did an rma for my old 622 last year and they gave me a 722 since they had no more 622s. So you might get lucky but remember you will have to still buy the ota module to get 2 ota tuners.

If they send you a replacement, most likely not. A refurb 622 or 722.

If I told dish I just wanted to upgrade my 622 with a 722K like the poster above and pay the $29.99 for the OTA module would they do that. I have been using the component out for over a year so I could always plead ignorance regarding the HDMI connector. If they did this would my committment be extended another 2 years?

It's Here

Just received 722K w/OTA module . Was surprised to find component AND HDMI cable included. Regarding the OTA, I've read something about NOT installing it at first, and waiting for software download. Is that the case, and how do you force a download? Did not think you could.

Turn it off after you install it for 30 minutes and it should grab the latest software. Then install the ota module. INstalling the ota module first causes flaky ota reception. I learned the hard way and had to remove it and reinstall it.

Turn it off after you install it for 30 minutes and it should grab the latest software. Then install the ota module. INstalling the ota module first causes flaky ota reception. I learned the hard way and had to remove it and reinstall it.

Turn it off for thirty minutes, once activated and all that good stuff, correct?

Yes that should do it. When I got my 722k I turned it off and waited a few minutes till it grabbed the latest software . I noticed it happen in a few minutes and the " do not touch receiver memory is being programmed" screen popped up.

CEO

Do you think Dish would swap out a 622 with a bad HDMI connector for a 722K?

If you contact CEO @ echostar then they will likely help you. I got my 722k w/o the upgrade charges due to having the broken HDMI connector. I'm now under a 2 yr contract but what the L not planning on going to D* anyway.

Yes that should do it. When I got my 722k I turned it off and waited a few minutes till it grabbed the latest software . I noticed it happen in a few minutes and the " do not touch receiver memory is being programmed" screen popped up.

Got it up and running. OTA's pretty much same strength as the 722. One UHF is about 5 points lower (down to 92), one VHF about 10 points higher (up to 98). Go figure. As said in another thread, I can't see any improvement in PQ. Pretty much a 722 with one more OTA tuner.

what is ota?
is it an off air antenna or something completly different?
i have the 722k and i seen where it has the ota in it but how do i hook it up?
and to what do i hook it up?

thanks

what is ota?
is it an off air antenna or something completly different?
i have the 722k and i seen where it has the ota in it but how do i hook it up?
and to what do i hook it up?

thanks

OTA is an Over The Air. The old 722's had an input where you could hook in an over the air antenna and scan in your digital locals and have them included in your guide. The new K series receivers don't include them anymore. Nice way for dish to save money. The advantage of buying one though is that you not only can scan in your digital locals, but with the OTA module they work on both TV1 and TV2, something the old receivers did not do. On the older ones you could only watch your OTA on TV1.

I recently upgraded to a 722 and 612. The 612 had the antenna input, but I'm going to have to bite the bullet and order one for my 722. To me it's well worth it. Like previous posters have mentioned, instead of only 2 tuners, you essentially would have 4. (2 satellite and 2 antenna). Since a lot of what I watch is on locals (at least after rerun season is over) it would be a great advantage. I could watch one show, DVR another 1 or 2 or whatever.

For $30 I can't complain. I'm not happy that they quit including it, but I do understand the reason. With thousands upon thousands of receivers out there the manufacturing cost is probably high and I'd venture to say that the majority of people using satellite receivers don't have an off air antenna to hook into it anyway, but for those of us who do and get good reception it's a really great feature.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts