722 to TV2 question

edjones72

Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
I need to run cable to my 2nd TV from my new 722. The 722 only has RCA outs for this. What is the best source for triple RCA cable in bulk. Or is there a converter out there to switch from triple RCA to coax for a simpler, more economical run. How is this generally done on new installs? I'm using a wireless Terk Leapfrog to send the signal now but our new Wifi is causing interference and I'm ready to hardwire. Thanks!

Eric

If you're using the TV2 output, there should be a Coax output, at least there is on mine. Now, if you're looking to hook another TV up to your TV1 outputs, the best way to convert RCA to coax would be to get your hands on an old VCR and use the line-in inputs. Then with the RF out you'll be good to go. Any converter box you could find would likely be just as expensive -- if not moreso -- than a VCR you could pick up at a garage sale, or even from your own garage if you have an electronics graveyard like I do!

Yeah.... you're just not seeing the Coax Output for TV2.... every dual tuner receiver has one.... I forget exactly what it is labeled but it is outlined by black stripes, just off to the left of the TV2 RCA outputs if you're looking at the back of the receiver....

622-722s don't have a coax output for TV1 (why they decided to save probably $2 buy removing this from their receivers, I have no idea... so many times I wished there was one for hooking up to customer's old VCRs)... but the TV2 coax is an essantial part of Dish Network technology.... it's how we use diplexers to share the DVR between two (or more) TVs....

The 622/722 does has a single coax that carrys whatever modulated channel you select.

For example.. i have a 722 running in Dual Mode.
I set the modulated coax out as follows:

TV1 CABLE CHANNEL 85
TV2 CABLE CHANNEL 88

The coax output on the back outputs both channels 85 and 88.

So if I plug a TV into that coax, I can watch TV1 on channel 85 and TV2 on channel 88

The coax output is labeled Home Distribution. You can go into the menu & set the modulated channel for both tuner 1 & tuner 2 to be distributed via the coax. Works very well. Set different channels for each tuner & tune the "other" tv to those channels.

You can convert component video and digital audio to CAT-5 using baluns such as the 50-7722 balun from mcmelectronics dot com.

That way you only have to string one CAT5 cable from your receiver to your second TV and not have to string 4 RG6 coax cables.