722 TV2 says cannot find sat while TV1 works fine

STL

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Any idea what caused my 722 to think it couldn't find the satellites for TV2 while TV1 was working fine? I even changed TV1 to the channel TV2 was suppose to be recording (and the programming was there). Because of the "superior" 722, I completely missed one program was halfway through missing another one before I realized my 722 was messed up. :mad: A reboot fixed the problem, but I want to know how to keep it from happening again. My default settings pick TV2 for recording shows (in case I want to watch something live on TV1) so had I not found this until later I would have missed even more recordings!

I hear a lot of people claiming that DISH's DVRs are better than DirecTV's units -- but my DirecTV DVR never messed up and missed a recording like this!! The 722 knew/thought it wasn't getting a satellite signal for TV2 yet it didn't even try to record the program on TV1 and/or give me some kine of indication (on TV1's output) that something was awry on TV2 -- instead it just gave up! Even the guide show it was recording TV2 even though it wasn't (because of supposed lack of signal). So much for DISH's superior equipment... :rolleyes:

ya this happens to me also on my 622, must be some bug with the new software
ive also noticed that TV2 has some "jerkiness" that TV1 does not have on the same channel like it drops to about 1FPS with the audio being unaffected

What signal strengths do you see for each tuner. Pick any tansponder and satellite.

If the signal strengths are different, then it should be a bad seperator.

Never seen this happen or heard about it before. I'm betting this a hardware issue which you will find when you are checking the signal strengths on tuner #2.

Never seen this happen or heard about it before. I'm betting this a hardware issue which you will find when you are checking the signal strengths on tuner #2.
Maybe, but my system been fine since it was installed almost 6 months ago. Furthermore, I found a thread (http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/181175-625-tv2-stuck-aquiring-signal.html) where someone with a 625 has had the issue -- and someone replied who said his 622 and two 508s have also had the same problem that I saw.

This was happening to me and it turned out the cable running from the dish to Tuner 2 in the back of my 622 went bad. I could watch TV1 or TV2, but not at the same time. The seperator was bad and got that fixed and away I went.

I ran Check Switch and it came back saying everything was OK. I also checked my signal levels and the values seemed to agree between the two. Here are the numbers I got:

SAT....Xponder.........1..........2

Are the above values good values (or just mediocre)? Is there a thread somewhere that says what I should be getting on each satellite/transponder with a good install?

BTW, I believe I have a 1000.4 Eastern Arc dish, and I'm located in the St. Louis, Missouri area. I did a few searches here but could not find any threads that say what a good signal level was for the satellites my equipment is using.

I had the very same thing happen with a customer last week. It had me scratching my head for a while. It ended up being a bad cable. I first tried a new separator with no success. It worked perfectly on both tuners after I ran a new cable.

I had the very same thing happen with a customer last week. It had me scratching my head for a while. It ended up being a bad cable. I first tried a new separator with no success. It worked perfectly on both tuners after I ran a new cable.
You know, my installer just used the existing D* cabling inside the house. He replaced a few of the connections (that were easy to get to) with the blue compression fittings, but I know the connections behind my TV (were the coax runs in/out of a surge suppressor) didn't get the new blue compression fittings. Could this be it perhaps?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)