722 wifi?

nuttz565

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2009
colorado
Hey guys I want to try out the new online portal thing Dish has in beta, the only problem I have no internet where my 722 is. Has anyone tried using a usb in the back and have it connect with a wireless router? Is this even a option with the 722, Thanks.

I use a Linksys WRT54G router flashed with dd-wrt firmware, running in client mode. Gives me 4 ports to plug into to communicate wirelessly to my network. Works well for me. Supposedly a wireless game adapter will also work. The 722 also has "homeplug" networking built in so all you'd need to use that is a homeplug adapter added to your network.

Hey guys I want to try out the new online portal thing Dish has in beta, the only problem I have no internet where my 722 is. Has anyone tried using a usb in the back and have it connect with a wireless router? Is this even a option with the 722, Thanks.

Check out this link:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/224255-wireless-broadband.html

There are several topics on using a wireless adapter with a 722 on the forum. If you check out the broadband tab in your menu you should see an option for wireless that is greyed out. Supposedly if you attach a supported wireless adapter through the USB port the tab is then active so you can make all the settings. There is basic connection info on the dishwebsite however dish has not provided a list of supported wireless adapters. Suggest reading the forum to find out what has worked for others.

I tried a Belkin wireless g usb dongle type of adapter and it didn't work, also I have an older wireless game adapter that connects to the unit via ethernet (we used it on a PS2), it didn't work either.

You can still use the on line portal even if your 722 is not on line. You just won't be able to see what you have recorded or use the on line access to set the dvr via remote. The on line portal has other features that you may enjoy. Also you will not be able to watch any of your recordings on your 722 on the portal unless you have sling.

Ross

Get an airport express or a similar wifi extender and connect it the ethernet port at the back of the 722.

My 722k is simply plugged into the wall and getting an internet connection through homeplug plugged into my router. However, the speed is SLOW. I have 3 mbps and it downloads anywhere from .5 to 1.5. Right now, I have DSL which is paid by my company (I work from home), but I am going to upgrade to 8 mbps with the cable company and have the router sit right next to my 722k so I it is wired and not wireless.

I used a DN supplied wireless usb dongle yesterday on a 722k. It was a Netgear product with DN instructions.

My 722k is simply plugged into the wall and getting an internet connection through homeplug plugged into my router. However, the speed is SLOW. I have 3 mbps and it downloads anywhere from .5 to 1.5. Right now, I have DSL which is paid by my company (I work from home), but I am going to upgrade to 8 mbps with the cable company and have the router sit right next to my 722k so I it is wired and not wireless.

Let us know how that works out for you. I remember people here complaining that the downloads were always slow.

I used a DN supplied wireless usb dongle yesterday on a 722k. It was a Netgear product with DN instructions.
Wow! Dish told me the USB would not work for WiFi. Good to know that policy changed.
Were you charged the $40 USB activation fee?

I use a rj45 connected TrendNet 647 ($30 delivered from a pseudonym for fresh egg dot com) in b/g/n mode to connect to 300mbs Netgear 854, which is probably meaningless since it sounds like you have a wireless router already.

My Internet connection is 20mps. Dish downloads at 3mps.

The $40 is for hard drives, and I don't think there's any restriction on linking to legal websites.

Did you buy the USB dongle or did they give it during the install? My installer did not know anything about it. Just wondering if this is something I can call Dish up for and get one.

THE USB WIFI dongles are just starting to roll out from DISH. No word on cost though.

With all the changes coming to the VOD you will want to have your receiver hooked up to broadband.

I use a Linksys WRT54G router flashed with dd-wrt firmware, running in client mode. Gives me 4 ports to plug into to communicate wirelessly to my network. Works well for me.

Me too, on both 722s. If you are even remotely technical, this is really the best option. Rock solid setup. :)

The best solution for all DVRs / XBOX / Blu-ray / ...etc. is to put in a wireless bridge.

If you are techie, get an old linksys and flash it with dd-wrt or tomato.

If not, then just get one off E-Bay.

dd-wrt items - Get great deals on Computers Networking, Musical Instruments items on eBay.com!

You will still need to configure it yourself, but that's not too hard. DD-WRT has instructions online ( Client Mode - DD-WRT Wiki ) and a good forum.

Disclaimer: You have to know if you are comfortable doing tech work yourself. :)

The best part is you get 4 ports ( 5 if you assign the WAN port ) and can hook up everything straight to Ethernet. It's all transparent to the devices. Neither my TV, XBOX 360, Blu-Ray or Dish DVR know that its not a local wired connection.

The best solution for all DVRs / XBOX / Blu-ray / ...etc. is to put in a wireless bridge.

If you are techie, get an old linksys and flash it with dd-wrt or tomato.

If not, then just get one off E-Bay.

dd-wrt items - Get great deals on Computers Networking, Musical Instruments items on eBay.com!

You will still need to configure it yourself, but that's not too hard. DD-WRT has instructions online ( Client Mode - DD-WRT Wiki ) and a good forum.

Disclaimer: You have to know if you are comfortable doing tech work yourself. :)

The best part is you get 4 ports ( 5 if you assign the WAN port ) and can hook up everything straight to Ethernet. It's all transparent to the devices. Neither my TV, XBOX 360, Blu-Ray or Dish DVR know that its not a local wired connection.

Lord_Vader,
I'm usually pretty good tech-wise, so let me see if I'm understanding this right. I already have a WRT54G2, so I would flash it with dd-wrt. Then do I need another WRT54G to use as the bridge? I'm taking it as one WRT54G hooks up to my A/V equipment in the TV room and connects wire-lessly to the other WRT54G that is connected to my broadband...Do I have that correct?
Thanks,
Ghpr13:)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts