722 Wireless Networking with Starband 360

shill

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
Arkansas
I have a 360 starband system for our internet service as we live in the sticks (that's country for you folks that live where access is no problem). I have an ad-hoc wireless setup for a 2nd pc in my son's room. I was told that with this system, you can only do ad-hoc, as starband did not like for you to set up a home network. I do realize the newer starband systems allow this now.

Is it possible (probably), or is it worthwhile to configure my 722 to wirelessly tap in to my network? If so, how? Do they make cat5 wireless receivers? I'm thinking there should be a wireless antennae that has a cat5 cable coming out to hook directly into my 722 that will allow the 722 to detect the wireless router.

(my networking knowledge is limited, so please write in dummy form.)

Second dummy question: I just had my 622 replaced with a 722. I can't get the sound to work in my son's room when in dual mode. It works fine in single mode, but then the second tv is just replicating what we are watching.

-a technology loving junkie who lives in the sticks

I have a 360 starband system for our internet service as we live in the sticks (that's country for you folks that live where access is no problem). I have an ad-hoc wireless setup for a 2nd pc in my son's room. I was told that with this system, you can only do ad-hoc, as starband did not like for you to set up a home network. I do realize the newer starband systems allow this now.

Is it possible (probably), or is it worthwhile to configure my 722 to wirelessly tap in to my network? If so, how? Do they make cat5 wireless receivers? I'm thinking there should be a wireless antennae that has a cat5 cable coming out to hook directly into my 722 that will allow the 722 to detect the wireless router.

(my networking knowledge is limited, so please write in dummy form.)

Second dummy question: I just had my 622 replaced with a 722. I can't get the sound to work in my son's room when in dual mode. It works fine in single mode, but then the second tv is just replicating what we are watching.

-a technology loving junkie who lives in the sticks

The best thing to do is set up a wireless access point for your 722. I'm using the Netgear HD Gaming Kit. it's great. One unit plugs into my wireless router and the 2nd unit goes downstairs and serves my 722 and Xbox-360. I literally plugged them in and that was it. You can get the Netgear HD Gaming kit pretty much anywhere electronics are sold. I got mine from Amazon since they were the cheapest at the time.

I'm too new to post a link so just do a search for the Netgear HD Gaming Wireless N Networking Kit. Model number is WNHDEB111. Good Luck!

Yep, that looks like it will work. It sure is expensive though. I wonder if my connection speed is fast enough to warrant spending it. I've done a little more researching and am confused over the ethernet switch that is supposed to be paired with a router. I thought the router had ethernet (cat 5) outputs. When you start talking about IP's and networking, it gets a little above my head.

D-Link DAP-1522 set to Bridge Mode. It sends/receives across your wireless network and functions as a wired router so you can connect multiple devices via cat5 back to your wireless network. I'm running IPTV over the same device currently so it can handle any traffic for your 722.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)