722 Wiring to second TV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

slocoma

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 22, 2004
I never hooked my 722 to a second TV. I see there are RCA's for TV 2. Can I use the "home distribution" coax port to get a second signal to another TV? I want both TV's to be able to watch different things at the same time.

Yes, you run a coax cable from the YELLOW port or Home distribution of TV2 to the other TV. Then go into your Menu, system setup and you will see Modulator - if its set to AIR 60 then you turn the TV to AIR/60 or you can switch it to Cable/73 by defaults which most modern TV's work better thru. If you have the TV2 remote already working when you see the picture you are in good shape if not you will need to get into System INFO and set it to the freq by "holding down the SAT button for a few seconds till it starts blinking" then just press any number such as 9 then # and press record 3 times to set it to the box as well as the remote. If you are really far from the range of that little antenna sticking up out the back of the box and it doesn't pick up hardly you will need to "pig tail" the antenna with a few small jumpers and two splitters.

Thanks! Will running coax out of that distribution port also get me a feed from an antenna that is hooked in to the 722?

Thanks! Will running coax out of that distribution port also get me a feed from an antenna that is hooked in to the 722?

If OTA is connected to the 722, you would need to split the signal before the input into the receiver with one going to the 722. The second split line and the output from the receiver would need to be connect to another splitter's outputs using it in reverse (this allows the splitter to work as a combiner) with the input connected to the coax that runs to the second tv. You would also need to make sure the 722 is set to dual user mode in order to have independent viewing. If you leave the receiver in single mode, tv1 is the only output you will see. You also need to make sure remote tv is enable in order to turn on the home distribution output. Let us know if you need more info or help.

I ran cable out of the home distribution port.

I set the box to dual mode.

I programmed the TV2 remote.

The box was set to AIR/60. I get a fuzzy signal on channel 60.

I changed the box to CABLE/73. For some reason my second TV picked up the signal on channel 23 and 24, and the picture was even worse.

Any suggestions?

The setting need to be matched on the receiver and the tv, interference can also cause problems with some channels. Try matching the signal types on both receiver and tv, then try changing the channel output till you can find one that works well.

if the box is set to 60/air you need to have your tv set up in air or antenna. If you set the box on 73/cable you need to turn the cable option on on your tv. If you have a slight fuz on your picture wrap the tv2 cable in saran wrap with a section in the middle with tin foil about 1/2 ft long to break apart the "clarity bubbles" (as us techs call them) in the dielectric.

Last edited:
Cable 73 is a frequency in between over the air channels 22 and 23. You just need to set your TV to cable rather than over the air tuner to get cable 73.
In my experience RF outs on ANY device is the least desirable option if you are looking for the best picture and sound quality. The 722 does okay, but the RF out is of much lower quality than the composite outputs (Audio/Video jacks). Also remember that the TV2 outputs on the 722 as standard definition. Only TV1 has HD output.
Since I do not use more than one TV at a time, I left my 622 (essentially the same as the 722 only older) in single mode. I have the HDMI output going to one TV and the Component (not composite) output going to the second TV. I used a single 5 lead cable I bought on monoprice for cheap and it works great to get HD to the second TV.

One thing I will have to say about the RF out on the 622/722 is that it at least has stereo sound!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)