722K Cabling Info Request

RealisticDave

Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Arkansas
I currently have a VIP211K receiver, with a (dual) satellite dish that was professionally installed in January, when I upgraded to HD For Life. I personally ran the coax to the dish (on the original installation), and that single coax is what is currently used to connect to the VIP211K. I also personally ran a coax between the receiver and a second distant TV. (The 211K has an output port for that purpose.) Everything works fine now, but I'm thinking of upgrading to a DuoDvr VIP722K receiver (and taking my old VCR and DVD recorder out of the mix).

I've looked over the VIP722K manual online, and I had a couple of specific questions:
  1. How many coax cables are required between the dish and the receiver? (The manual states, "Connect one RG-6 coaxial cable from the LNBF to a DISH Pro Plus (DPP) Separator or a DISH Pro Plus Triplexer. Connect the DPP Separator or DPP Triplexer to the SATELLITE IN port on the receiver’s back panel." But there are two "Sat In" ports on the back of the receiver?)
  2. Where would the "Separator" or "Triplexer" be located? Is it at the satellite dish, or somewhere in the house?
  3. For a couple of reasons, I don't wish to use the "Home Distribution" option, as shown in the diagram. Reading the manual for the VIP722K, I'm thinking that I could use my existing coax between the receiver and my distant TV, connected to the (yellow) port designated Home Distribution in the manual. Am I correct in this understanding?

Thanks for any comments.

The separator/triplexer is located at the 722 location, the same location that your existing 211K is. It takes the single coax lead and makes it double up into the two inputs on the 722. All will be well, just as you are wired...

No additional cabling is required if you have a DishPro Plus LNB (likely since your install was "recent").

At the DVR end (immediately adjacent to) you need a DPP Separator and two short RG6 jumpers.

Diplexers (nor triplexers) aren't necessary unless you want to add OTA signals to the satellite cable or distribute the DVR signals back along the satellite cable.

garys said:
The DPP Separator usually comes packaged with the duo receiver, if a triplexer is need, hopefully the installer has one.

The receivers come with triplexers these days.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)