722k DVRing and watching at the same time?

bortery

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2011
US
Let me start by saying I'm remote right now and have a 722k dual tuner at my parents' house, so I watch everything through the sling adapter.

Shouldn't I be able to have something recording and also watch on the slingbox at the same time?

If I am watching on slingbox and a recording on a different channel comes on, it automatically switches me over. Similarly, if I am watching something that is being recorded and try to switch channels, it tells me my recording will stop.

What's the point of having a dual tuner if I can't record one thing and watch another??

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

The Sling Adapter is locked to the TV2 output, while recordings may be set up to prefer either tuner. If you have sole use of that 722k, then set up your recordings to preferentially use the TV1 tuner and you're done.

I'd like to give props to TheKrell for the accurate information. Just to reiterate, when you use the Sling adapter, make sure it's TV1 that you're recording on. The reason being is that when recording to TV2, you will view what is being recorded when you use your sling adapter.

The Sling Adapter is locked to the TV2 output, while recordings may be set up to prefer either tuner. If you have sole use of that 722k, then set up your recordings to preferentially use the TV1 tuner and you're done.

Very happy to hear that it can be done, thanks for the info! I logged into my dish account and the remote access section, and I don't see where to set this preference. Does this need to be done on the physical receiver itself? When I set up a recording through the remote access, there is no option for which tuner to use to record...

From the physical remote, you can use Menu - 8 - 5 - Enable - TV1. Not sure there is a way to do this using DRA, and I can't even bring up http://www.dishnetwork.com at the moment. Looks like a DNS problem. Huh.

I just called my parents and had them change the setting manually on the receiver. Just tried it out, and everything works as expected. Thanks much!!
Two days goes by... Parents call all P.O.'d ... we can't watch tv some times.. what ever we're doing it suddenly switches us to some recording thingy and then if we change channels it tells us it will stop recording.. ;)

You have shifted your problem to them.

You are trying to do something the receiver is not made to do, watch independent programming from both TV1 AND TV2 while recording on the other channel.

You need your own dedicated receiver to allow both you and your parents to watch and record at the same time.

Yeah.. like Dish doesn't know this already.. their original ideas for the Sling Adapter suck. I don't just mean suck I mean like the Electrolux is the king of suckers so is the Sling Adapter and its plug in, "oh they don't need TV2 capabilities" .... "640k, who'd need any more than that" "we could save space by only storing the last 2 digits of the year"

Don't get me wrong.. there's some good things there.. but really ... who is thinking up the programming path of these devices? Why don't the recordings automatically go to the *unused* tuner ... I'm on the set now, and a recording it set to come up.. if tuner 2 isn't used ... then use it ... oh.. now I'm on the Sling adapter.. and an event comes up to record.. no one is on TV1 (ie, the power on event came from the Sling) why not shift that recording timer to the unused tuner .... or hey.. let the sling adapter choose which TV its tied to at the time you're using it (ie. a button Tuner1 / Tuner2) OR .... instead of an OTA ... a module that fits into that bay... that can attach another sat feed, and can turn the unit into a THREE SATELLITE TUNER DEVICE ... and then allow us to choose how that tuner is used.. (locally, remotely,etc)

OR ... heaven forbid... they make a module that goes into that bay, that you attach an ethernet cable to, that allows you to stream from something *inside* the box, rather than attaching to the USB ...

And lastly ... maybe something else more along the lines of 'future not foreseen' ... "who needs more than 500G in an HD DVR"

Foresight ... the industry doesn't seem to have it..

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)