722k gets loud

RoyalB

Original poster
Apr 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
722k was replaced a couple of weeks ago to correct an LNB Drift problem. Drift has not reappeared since I've had this receiver, but the receiver gets loud every morning about 9 o'clock. Sounds like a fan, could be the hard drive. First time I unplugged/replugged the receiver and the sound did not resume until the next morning. I've since found that just pressing the red reset button will silence the receiver until the next morning.

Yesterday I did not press the reset to see if it would correct itself. It did not. I did press reset about 1 a.m. today and at 9:30 a.m. it was still silent, but by 1 p.m. it was loud again. From that, I did learn that it is not a set time period, such as 24 hours, when it gets loud.

Everything is set up the same as with the old receiver, which never had this problem. I also am not seeing any other issues with this receiver. No viewing, recording or playback problems.

Anything I should do other than call Dish to see if they'll replace this receiver?

The LNB drift problem is almost always the LNB itself. The problem is usually that the frequency shifts with temperature changes. It is hardly ever caused by the receiver.

You might just have a receiver with a loud fan. Sometimes the bearing in the fan goes south and the fan gets louder. If you have sufficient air flow, and the vents on the receiver are not clogged with dust, you probably just have a loud (or failing) fan.

Well, I guess I had the hardly ever, because LNB drift remained after everything -- LNB and all wiring from LNB to the receiver -- was replaced. It only stopped after the receiver was swapped out.

If I just have a loud fan that would mean the fan does not run when the receiver is first reset and only starts to run hours later and then never stops. Is that correct?

It appears the noise is connected to my Sling adapter. With the Sling positioned on top of the receiver on the left side and plugged in to the front, the receiver gets loud as often as every day. With the Sling positioned on top of the receiver on the right side and plugged in to the back, it goes several days without getting loud. So far it has never gotten loud with the Sling plugged in to the front and positioned on its side to the left of the receiver. I saw a similar post a while back. Anyone else have any such experiences?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts