722k going to "Partial Signal Loss" at random

Does anyone know if this issue was ever resolved? I just started getting it a couple of days ago with a Viper 722. Pressing Guide/Cancel does let me rewind and see what was playing during the message. My software version is L724. Dish's suggestion was that I sign up for the monthly maintenance plan - I'm sure that's going to help a lot, considering the postings I've seen.

dbake said:
Does anyone know if this issue was ever resolved? I just started getting it a couple of days ago with a Viper 722. Pressing Guide/Cancel does let me rewind and see what was playing during the message. My software version is L724. Dish's suggestion was that I sign up for the monthly maintenance plan - I'm sure that's going to help a lot, considering the postings I've seen.

Not definitively. There is one school of thought that it is caused by a failing LNB. Started happening to me shortly after up grade to EA. Annoying but not to the point of staying home to wait for a tech visit. doesn't happen on any channel we record either so...

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

This happens with my 612 when I tune to an OTA channel and the signal strength drops sufficiently to lose the channel. Then any channel I tune to after a few seconds I get the partial signal loss screen. A reboot resolves this and I avoid a repeat of this problem by not tuning to any of the OTA channels. I have no idea why this happens but I’ve at least discovered how to avoid it.

Can anyone from DIRT comment on that ???

This was not on our known product issues list. What is your signal strength? If it is not above the levels on the Minimum Threshold List, we would want to get a tech out. If the levels are above this please PM your account information and I will submit a technical problem report. I have a 722k and have not been able to rewind to see what was missed by pressing guide or cancel.

Isn't the issue related to the "other" tuner being tuned to an OTA channel ? If so, satellite signal levels wouldn't factor in.

I'd get the Partial Loss on TV1 output on my 722 when it was tuned to a Dish channel. Since TV2 out does not tune to ota, that can't be the problem. AFAIK

Isn't the issue related to the "other" tuner being tuned to an OTA channel ? If so, satellite signal levels wouldn't factor in.

The only known issue about the OTA is "The receiver freezes when the customer tries to watch locals through a UHF/VHF antenna and an Off-The-Air module in the receiver." It maybe due to this, but to me this sounds like a satellite signal issue or a software glitch. I am leaning towards a signal issue since I have not seen this on my own 722k with an OTA module installed. In my previous post I mention sending me account information if this is happening, I also need what channels this is happening on, if you have an OTA installed, what the other tuner is on and any other information that you think would help.

He was able to rewind and there was no loss of video/audio, hence no signal loss (on the satellite side).

I've seen it happen many times with a 722k + OTA module. If you run in dual-mode though, it's too much of a hassle to see what channel the other tuner is on. That's why I ignore it when it happens....

He was able to rewind and there was no loss of video/audio, hence no signal loss (on the satellite side).

I've seen it happen many times with a 722k + OTA module. If you run in dual-mode though, it's too much of a hassle to see what channel the other tuner is on. That's why I ignore it when it happens....

We would like to look into this, if you could please provide as much information as possible. Please be sure to include your account number and software version. This information will be used to submit technical problem reports to our engineering department.

Thanks Zach. I think the issue is a little more involved than just one tuner. You get that "partial signal lost" error in your face, even when the tuner you're watching has no such problem. What I've found on my 722 and 612s for the last several years and numerous firmware upgrades, is this. When you leave the internal OTA tuner tuned to a weak OTA station, even when you're not watching it, when the signal goes below threshold it pops up that big fat yellow window. Very annoying.

The only way I know of to make this problem go away is to tune in an ironclad guaranteed super strong (in the 90s) OTA station. That way, the OTA tuner never loses lock, and never acts up and surprises you with spurious messages when you're watching satellite.

I agree, that it definitely appears to be a problem related to a weak signal coming from the OTA side. After reading the many posts about this problem, I realized mine started when I recorded a signal from an OTA station (which was not super strong - it would drop out periodically). I think this was the first time I had recorded OTA in years. I tried all the normal fixes suggested by Dish, but nothing helped. I went to the "Local Channels" screen, and removed the OTA channel that I had recorded on a couple of nights earlier from my local channels tuner list and the problem has gone away. This fixes the immediate problem, however I can no longer watch or record this channel if I need to for some reason - still a Dish problem of some sort.

dbake said:
I agree, that it definitely appears to be a problem related to a weak signal coming from the OTA side. After reading the many posts about this problem, I realized mine started when I recorded a signal from an OTA station (which was not super strong - it would drop out periodically). I think this was the first time I had recorded OTA in years. I tried all the normal fixes suggested by Dish, but nothing helped. I went to the "Local Channels" screen, and removed the OTA channel that I had recorded on a couple of nights earlier from my local channels tuner list and the problem has gone away. This fixes the immediate problem, however I can no longer watch or record this channel if I need to for some reason - still a Dish problem of some sort.

However it also is a problem for those of us that do not use the ota tuner ( no antenna to hook up).
Since there seems to be some consensus that a failing LNB could cause the partial signal loss have those that feel it is caused by a weak OTA signal checked for LNB drift?

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

It seems like there may be more than one problem that is giving the same result. Probably a real signal loss problem (possibly from a failing LNB), and the OTA caused problem which also reports itself as a "dish" partial signal loss, but is actually caused by the OTA signal loss.

I hope that my problem has been eliminated. The 1st done by the tech was to swap out some rusted connections. Still had the LNB error message on the system info screen. Replaced the LNB. Error message still there. We then ran a new line from the dish to the receiver. Error message still there. Finally replaced the 722 & so far so good & the error message is gone.

The tech originally did not want to believe the error message. Fortunately, when switching channels I would get the signal loss message on the tv screen. Now my problem is since my original 722 was replaced with a 722k, I no longer have the ota connection. Hopefully, dish will send me this for no charge. The tech thought that they should.

Now my problem is since my original 722 was replaced with a 722k, I no longer have the ota connection. Hopefully, dish will send me this for no charge. The tech thought that they should.
Since Dish replaced the equipment and took away a feature that's still possible, they should supply you an OTA module (the tech should have these on his/her truck, I would think too) at no charge. If a customer has no antenna, no interest in an antenna or OTA channels, well, that's why Dish made it a plug-in module.

I hope that my problem has been eliminated. The 1st done by the tech was to swap out some rusted connections. Still had the LNB error message on the system info screen. Replaced the LNB. Error message still there. We then ran a new line from the dish to the receiver. Error message still there. Finally replaced the 722 & so far so good & the error message is gone.

The tech originally did not want to believe the error message. Fortunately, when switching channels I would get the signal loss message on the tv screen. Now my problem is since my original 722 was replaced with a 722k, I no longer have the ota connection. Hopefully, dish will send me this for no charge. The tech thought that they should.

Please send me a PM with your phone or account number and so I can see what can be done to get your OTA capability back. Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts