722k hard drive noise

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mmcl26554

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 18, 2006
Northern WV
Just how much noise from the hard drive is acceptable?
I have 2 722k's, one is over a year old and the other was replaced about 2 months ago. The older one is making more noise (soft wherrying noise) than when it was new, but the recently replaced one is almost as noisy. I know hard drives do make some noise simply because they are a mechanical device with a motor, but how much is normal? When the room is quiet I can hear both of the 722k's from 10 feet away. If I put my ear to the cabinet of either of them it is way louder than any computer in my home, when I do the same thing.
Michael

Are you sure it's only the HD noise, not the fan, or a vibrating chassis due to it not sitting perfectly flush with the surface it is sitting on? You can eliminate the chassis by putting your hand firmly on top of the box to see if the noise level diminishes.

I am about as certain as I can be without removing the case and listening to it with a stethoscope. I hear the fan during reboots and it is different, and I don't think the fan runs constantly but intermittently. If the fan has only one speed then it is definitely not the fan, if it has a very low speed then it could be but I don't think so. I do not feel any airflow from either side of the receivers. Additionally, the noise is new.
Michael

The fan should run constantly or you would end up with heat issues. It just doesn't sound like it first does when rebooting. As far as feeling airflow, the air outside the left side vent should feel warmer than the right side, that would indicate that the fan is running properly. Did you push your hand on top of the box to eliminate chassis vibration as a culprit?

Had similar problems and mostly due to loose top cover. Place something like rubber pads underneath feet or place anothe unit with air space on top.

Pressing on it didn't help....BUT.....I carefully slid it out of the shelf it was on and left it standing near vertical on the floor.....the noise stopped! I slid it back in place and the noise did NOT return??? So we'll see how long that lasts. In any case I could not identify if it was coming from the left or right side of the receiver. If the noise returns I will have to remove the housing so I can more clearly identify which it is. However, I guess whether it is the fan or the hard drive the receiver would need to be replaced.
Michael

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)