722K Hard Drive

ClarkGable

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 23, 2010
NW Ohio
I don't know what brand and model hard drive is in a 722K, but they are impressive. Our 722K was new over four years ago, and the hard drive still works fine (that sound you hear is me knocking on wood). For as much recording as we do, and as much as the box gets used, it is remarkable that the hard drive is still going. I've had computer hard drives that lasted less than that, and likely saw less use as well!

Last edited:
As long as 722K is plugged in that hard drive is spinning so it might be more amazing than you thought. The facts are still out there DISH seems to go through hard drives faster than D* or TiVo.

As long as 722K is plugged in that hard drive is spinning so it might be more amazing than you thought. The facts are still out there DISH seems to go through hard drives faster than D* or TiVo.
I'd like to see those facts.

If you have ever taken a dead one apart, you would wonder with all the "micro" things inside that make it work, that they work at all. An amazing device that seem to last forever. I have some that are so old they should be getting a pension. Now if they could only build cars that way. ???? Wait a minute, they did! My 19 year old caravan with 224,000 miles on it is still going.(knock on head).....

Are those facts stories of have heard from us here? Honestly, I can go to both companies Facebook pages and see the SAME complaints, except now DTV can add on "why did you not ask your customers how we feel about selling to ATT", but that is a stupid conversation and a different story. There are just as many complaints there about dead drives and dead receivers with big Dish as there are DTV.

I don't know what brand and model hard drive is in a 722K, but they are impressive. Our 722K was new over four years ago, and the hard drive still works fine (that sound you hear is me knocking on wood). For as much recording as we do, and as much as the box gets used, it is remarkable that the hard drive is still going. I've had computer hard drives that lasted less than that, and likely saw less use as well!
Your 722k is an infant compared to my 501 which I purchased in 2001. Granted, the 501 is worth a lot less for programming these days with the 8PSK conversion, but the hard drive still works for the programming that remains. I also still use a computer at home running Windows 95, which was purchased in 1997.

Reactions: TheKrell
Your 722k is an infant compared to my 501 which I purchased in 2001. Granted, the 501 is worth a lot less for programming these days with the 8PSK conversion, but the hard drive still works for the programming that remains. I also still use a computer at home running Windows 95, which was purchased in 1997.

Reactions: KAB