722k ingores remotes

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

MIshler

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 11, 2003
ontario,ny
I have a 722k that's about 6 months old. recently on several occasions after I turn it on via the remote , it ignores any further remote commands. Some times it acts like it responds to the commands very slowly, like several seconds between commands. it does this with both IR and RF remotes. Sometimes a boot will clear it and sometimes just waiting 20 or 30 minutes works. There are no other remotes in the room or other dish customers nearby. Any ideas?

I have a 722k that's about 6 months old. recently on several occasions after I turn it on via the remote , it ignores any further remote commands. Some times it acts like it responds to the commands very slowly, like several seconds between commands. it does this with both IR and RF remotes. Sometimes a boot will clear it and sometimes just waiting 20 or 30 minutes works. There are no other remotes in the room or other dish customers nearby. Any ideas?

note the remote sensor on the front of your receiver.
Now, take a piece of black electrical tape. Tear a small slit in the tape. COver the remote sensor with the tape except the area in the slit. Leave one fo the "eyes" of the sensor uncovered.
Try your remote. It should work.
I suspect your tv has a dynamic conrast where the tv measure the ambient light in the room and adjusts the brightness of the screen. In order for the tv to do this, the tv emits a signal that interferes with the infradred remote signal from your DN remote.
Picture this, Imagine someone photgrahing you with a flash. The flash goes off and for a moment ,you cannot see. Same thing happens to the infrered remote sensor. The signal emitted from the tv actually puts the remote sensor on the receiver into "overload"...
Option number two is to move the satellite receiver away fom the tv.

I'm having the exact same problem. I use RF only, new batteries, Samsung HL67A750, Led, DLP

TV is a Sony KDL46Z4100. I'll check to see if the dynamic contrast is enabled, I seem to recall that from a setup menu.(of course with 4 Sony tv's none of the setups are identical)

Just checked, Auto was on so I turned it off. I'll give it a week or so to see if the problem returns.

Last edited:
Same thing happened to my neighbors brand new 722k this evening. After a 9 hour install yesterday I went over to see what mess was left. And yes there was one. DISH (these were DISH installers - two whole vans) is getting very snippy about how they can do things and sloppy with what they do on their installs. After cleaning things up (which will have to be continued next Spring) I was running through the menu topics and explaining them and doing a final "dial in", when the box that is in the basement directly below where I was using the 21.0, just stopped responding to the remote on TV1. TV2 upstairs in the master worked great the whole time. One thing, they ran the antenna up to the TV2 location doing the RF and Antenna combining thing, leaving none at the box. Usually an antenna higher up is a good thing, but . . . I have a 4 way splitter on my 625 and an antenna at each end of the house and one in the middle and it works great. It even helps the other boxes that are not hooked up to it. I went down and tried three remotes via IR and still nothing. I did the Power Button Reset, nothing. Then a "pull the plug" power cycle, still nothing. And all the while TV2 worked great. Another thing the 21.0 remote was acting wonky all night so I got mine and a 6.3. Both worked, the 6.3 worked better than the 21.0's, then after the box stopped responding no remote would work. But TV2 worked just fine. I put a splitter on the antenna and added an antenna at the box and reconnected the run the the master bedroom. Still TV1 would not work and TV2 did.

Any thoughts?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Turn off any auto controls on your hdtv and your main remote should work on your tv. My toshiba tv had this problem every day when I turned on my sat receiver. Once I turned off the auto controls, NO more problems with my ir remote control.

722k receivers are known to have faulty remote issues....bad batch of 722killas
I have a 21.0 remote for my 625 and it doesn't have any issues. There is nothing wrong with the remotes it's the interferrence from the LCD TV causing the problem with the remote response.

The OP even said that a boot will clear it so it could be a receiver software issue. It's not a remote problem they're solid remotes.

The 21.0 wasn't the problem. I set it for TV2 and it worked fine. And another strange thing was that TV1 was unresponsive to the IR side also. I have them on my 722 and sometimes you really have to mash on the buttons or point them right the receiver and they fall asleep, having to push the SAT button to get it to work again. But . . . the Tech that came back today said that there is a known issue with the 722k in this case that when you use two UHF remotes, and put the antenna in a remote location, you also have to have one at the receiver. I did that and it didn't work and I used the same splitter and stuff he did, but . . . So he slaps one up there and it worked great for the most part. It's slow sometimes as if you have to take your time or the 722k can't keep up and cuts it off. The 21.0 is a finicky thing. Mine are. I took a 6.3 back over and it worked far better. I guess it took the educated touch of a pro to slap on the other antenna. I tried to make the install a bit cleaner. I guess that was my mistake. They've been up and running all day. But it would not do the initial link up and sync with the Wizard message that kept popping up. We just told it to stop. So we had to bypass that for now. Seems still no IR connection. Next thing is to run cable to extend the antenna up behind the TV so it's closer to where the remote is being used. Hopefully that'll help a bit. It did upstairs. We'll see.

An no, the 21.0's are not solid. I have heard of many failing out of the box and I have been through 7 of them. And reading through the forums I see that most all control problems where solved by replacing the 21.0. So . . . .

I like the 20.2 and 21.0 remote controls because I can actually use one to control ALL of my devices with ONE remote control. I did find that the LCD tvs interfere with the remote control working properly. I found that you have to turn off any auto contrast controls on the tv to make the remote control work right. Once I did turn off the auto contrast I find that I have had no more problems.

I just had an issue last night while watching the pre-recorded Alice on SyFy. The remote just wouldn't work. I have a DTVPal and everytime I pressed any commands on the 722K IR remote the light would light up on the Pal but would do nothing for the satellite rcvr. I did a RBR and voila, worked like a champ again. The 722K remotes have been a little frutstrating to use after the great remotes I had with my previous 622.

I just don't see how it could be the remote control because if you do a reboot to the receiver then it must be a software issue or something else affecting the remote signal to the receiver and not a remote button issue.

I just don't see how it could be the remote control because if you do a reboot to the receiver then it must be a software issue or something else affecting the remote signal to the receiver and not a remote button issue.

Agreed. I should have clarified in my previous post.:)

I had the same issue with my new 722k. I changed the remote address by going to the sys. info screen, holding the sat button on my remote until blinking, then 8, #, and the record button. This changed the remote address to 8 and it's been working ever since.
This process didn't help me with my Harmony remote but I just used the troubleshooting on the Harmony software and got that remote to learn the new IR channel.

Hope this helps some folks out there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts