722K - Internal Drive Failure - EHD no use

mickey53usa

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2012
Texas
722K, been in service since December 26, 2014. I found lots of information on hard drive failures in the 722K and other units.

When the failure occurred, I thought I could attach an EHD and still use the DVR function while waiting for a new (refurbished) receiver. But I found that is not the case. Though it allowed me to format the EHD, when trying to go to DVR I get an error that the service is unavailable and to try again in five minutes.

I have done a reset. I have left unplugged over night - still the hard drive error.

Wife not happy as she lost several programs that she had not watched yet.

I was told that Dish would ship a new one immediately without having to wait for the broken one to arrive - hope that is correct.

Any other suggestions on trying to revive the hard drive?

Yes, Dish will ship you a new/refurbished one, and you send the old one back in the same box using the included return shipping label.

Just so you're clear, the EHD on the 722 is only used for offloading content from the internal hard drive. There is no way to use the EHD as a DVR replacement for the internal hard drive.

Reactions: navychop
Thanks dare2be, I did not know that.
I do know that I will be moving things off the internal drive of the next one to the EHD on a regular basis.

I own the receiver, however since I purchased through a Dish Dealer it is supposed to have a one (1) year warranty through Dish.

If you want to be especially careful, you can buy a hardware RAID array.

There's an old technician trick that MAY work here. Remove the internal drive, wrap it up, and freeze it overnight in your freezer. After it's frozen, put it back in the receiver and boot it up. You MAY be able to access the drive long enough to get your shows off of it to the external drive.

I have done this before, (as an old field tech) and it's worked for me with computers in general.

But take care that you do not break the tamper seal on the hard drive - you break that seal Dish knows you opened the box and might charge you the price of a failed receiver.

If you are careful you can remove both the drive and the bracket it is fastened t, thusly leaving the tamper seal un touched.

I own the receiver, however since I purchased through a Dish Dealer it is supposed to have a one (1) year warranty through Dish.

That is good. Dish does not take care of equipment owners the way they used to.

When ours failed last year, they wanted $75+ shipping for a replacement.

primestar31 - thanks for the tip. I have never used it, but heard about it - Tamper seal - good point

Dish has a replacement receiver on order. Will have to wait to see when it ships. Supposed to be here in 2-3 business days - I figure by middle of next week.

BTW, it was under warranty - so no charge to me : )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts