722k Internal drive to external

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Now while I believe everything you say is true from my past experiences, but today I replaced the drive in my 722k with one from a 722k that was left behind at job I was on, and upon replacement there was no formatting and the 3 recordings that were on the drive from the donor receiver were there and watchable. They were free preview shorts from HBO and Showtime. but watchable none the less.
Strange

That's really odd. I had to replace a drive twice in my 622, and once in my 722k, and they auto-formatted every time. These were new drives purchased off the web, NOT "Dish" drives swapped between receivers. Maybe a used moved original DISH drive doesn't have to format?

Also my prior drive swaps were virgin drives as well. They may not be married to the receiver after all. I know for sure the 5xx series were married to the ird.

Reactions: TheKrell
That's really odd. I had to replace a drive twice in my 622, and once in my 722k, and they auto-formatted every time. These were new drives purchased off the web, NOT "Dish" drives swapped between receivers. Maybe a used moved original DISH drive doesn't have to format?
The transferred HD is already formatted with Dish encryption while a new drive isn’t.

The transferred HD is already formatted with Dish encryption while a new drive isn’t.
True but I assumed because it was not married it would want to reformat.

I installed the original drive from my receiver into the donor receiver (which has been deactivated for at least a year) and I could view all the recordings. I can now conclude that the drives do not marry to the receiver.

Has to be a way to exploit that somehow.:biggrin

The internal drive on a 722 was not encrypted and was capable (back when I had one) of being copied to a computer and viewed independently with proper software.

I have also heard that internal hard drives may be swapped, for instance in the event of a non-hard drive failure, the internal drive can be put in the replacement receiver and programming transferred to and EHD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)