722k Internal Hard Disk Problem

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Tecmanpr

Original poster
Apr 18, 2015
Earth
I have a new 722k receiver one month old that i bough from someone that never used it. I was the first that subscribe it and it fail after it was recording an event and the electricity went off. When it came back it shows an error that said hard disk fail. I let it of for a while and plug it back on. But the problem persist. Then I found an info that talk about hidden menu to check the hard drive. I use that process to go in the hidden menu and select the first method. After it make the test it said. Hard disk fail. And after that my receiver boot and ends with the two recording lights blinking.

I try to format the internal hard drive but its locked. I learn that it can be unlocked by letting the receiver boot for 30 seconds and pull the sata cable from the board and leave the receiver powered until u finish process. Then u can use a sata to usb adapter to make windows recognize the drive and see the internal partition. I formatted the hard drive and put the sata cable back into the receiver then i reboot it but the receiver still show the same problem. The hard drive was partitioned again by the receiver. Still the problem of the two red lights.

I know that the hard drive is good couse i make a full format and test it. Maybe there is something marked internally.

Need the process to make my receiver come back to life. Please help.

Sounds like you just need a replacement receiver. Either that or a replacement harddrive(that you'd have to buy on your own).

It might be in "Recovery Mode". If it is, leave it alone for 24 hours! Do not touch it, unplug it, or do a single thing to it! Just let it do it's own thing. If it can recover, it'll do so in that time period. If not, have Dish switch it out. My old VIP622 did this, and I didn't know about Recovery Mode at that time. Because of that and my continuing to mess with it, it took longer to recover. The new receiver they will swap you will also show as purchased, so you don't have any reason not to call if needed.

I left the receiver on all night and in the morning the blinking red lights was off. I turn on the tv and the receiver was with the screen server. I turn the receiver on and it show a message that the receiver was unatended for long period of time and there was a yes, no, cancel option to turn off the receiver. As soon as I select yes the receiver show a screen saying hard disk was erased dont disturb. It got black out and the process start again. The second time I selected no and it black out and continue to clean the hard disk. It is disapointing process. I will let it do it a few times. Im sure the hard drive is not damage couse i make a few surface test, formating, zeroing sectors. Non of the process fail.

That's pretty much what I went through also. You don't get smart until after going through various ways a couple times. Just let it go, and maybe you'll get lucky.

I have a new 722k receiver one month old that i bough from someone that never used it. I was the first that subscribe it and it fail after it was recording an event and the electricity went off. When it came back it shows an error that said hard disk fail. I let it of for a while and plug it back on. But the problem persist. Then I found an info that talk about hidden menu to check the hard drive. I use that process to go in the hidden menu and select the first method. After it make the test it said. Hard disk fail. And after that my receiver boot and ends with the two recording lights blinking.

I try to format the internal hard drive but its locked. I learn that it can be unlocked by letting the receiver boot for 30 seconds and pull the sata cable from the board and leave the receiver powered until u finish process. Then u can use a sata to usb adapter to make windows recognize the drive and see the internal partition. I formatted the hard drive and put the sata cable back into the receiver then i reboot it but the receiver still show the same problem. The hard drive was partitioned again by the receiver. Still the problem of the two red lights.

I know that the hard drive is good couse i make a full format and test it. Maybe there is something marked internally.

Need the process to make my receiver come back to life. Please help.
The receiver came back to life after i try another hard drive and let it do the clean process it fail but this time the red light stay steady and in the screen it say hard disk fail. I power off the receiver and then i put back the original hard drive and do the clean process until it finish. Then it works perfect

Reactions: TheKrell
Nvram Reser
Menu,6,3,Info,Right,Left,Input. This will clean the Nvram and erase all settings from timer, tv settings, all internal errors flags.
Need to unplug but before it is good to clean the hard drive from internal errors by using this option. All recording is going to be erased.
Hard disk Wipe
Menu,6,3,Info,Right,Left,Play,Play,Recall

Next time it happens, jack up the hood ornament and slide a new HWS under it, while chanting "Begone, ye outdated and evil ViP!"

;)
:oldwink

IMHO the only ones who don't need or want a Hopper are those who haven't had one. :)
Why are there so many negetave/problem posts about the Hopper if it is soo great? Is it poor installation, poor customer instruction, too many software upgrades introducing glitches?

What is wrong with using old proven receivers that keep on chugging along? About the only thing I have seen is they are physically getting older and DISH refurbs are about as bad as Hopper reliability.

Our Hoppers and the dozens or hundreds that we've installed have been extremely reliable overall.

There might be a few more Hopper software problems than VIP because the VIP software is so old it has been pretty much debugged. It's kind of like staying with Windows 98 or XP because it's so reliable. :)

Our Hoppers and the dozens or hundreds that we've installed have been extremely reliable overall.

There might be a few more Hopper software problems than VIP because the VIP software is so old it has been pretty much debugged. It's kind of like staying with Windows 98 or XP because it's so reliable. :)
That's a damn good analogy. I would add in that the hopper may also have more bugs, because there are more features and options. Naturally, it would have to

Reactions: JSheridan

I still use Windows 95 at home. (I use a computer at the public library to post here.)

Reactions: TheKrell
Why are there so many negetave/problem posts about the Hopper if it is soo great? Is it poor installation, poor customer instruction, too many software upgrades introducing glitches?

What is wrong with using old proven receivers that keep on chugging along? About the only thing I have seen is they are physically getting older and DISH refurbs are about as bad as Hopper reliability.
If you choose to believe "there are so many negative problem posts" then you have decided to see the glass as half empty, or worse. Your choice. But the award winning Hopper is very popular for a reason.

I will put it this way... Until something better comes out and is proven... You are going to have to pry my hoppers and joeys from my cold dead fingers. I love this system. Absolutely everything I need. Minus YouTube... But it appears as if YouTube is disappearing from DTV as well, soooo

Reactions: navychop

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)