722k issues on second tv

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

wase4711

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 22, 2004
Outside Chicago
I've only been back to Dish for a few weeks now, and, I have an annoying issue with my 722k, on my second tv

When I first turn the second tv on in the morning, it is very unresponsive, and takes a couple of minutes to show a picture; if I try to watch one of the premium channels, I get the "HDCP" error;
However, if I go in the other room, where the other tv (tv1) is connected, and turn it on, I can then go into the room where tv2 is, and receive all of my premium channels without a problem.

They are both HD tv's; obviously tv2 is connected with coax, but I don't know why that would cause a problem with viewing premium channels that I pay for; and, why does everything work "normally", if I turn TV1 on first?

I have a slingbox connected, which works perfectly, if that means anything..

Do I have a bad 722k, or, is this what everyone has to deal with when first turning tv2 on with a 722k?

Thanks!

I think we need a bit more info. How is Tv 1 connected (Hdmi?). I know we had an issue when we had a 722 (and possibly with the 722k) where when tv 1 (hooked up via HDMI) was off, tv 2 would lock up. Using Component solved it and we have not (to the best of my knowledge) had issues with hdcp on either tv.

Having said that, how is tv 1 hooked up?

Geoff

There's no reason to have an HDCP failure message without HDMI so I'm pretty sure what's happening is that the TV at TV1 is not providing responses to HDMI/HDCP when it is OFF. Check with the manufacturer's website of the TV see if they have any updates. If necessary, chat or call that TV manufacturer letting them know that you suspect the TV is not responding to HDMI/HDCP when off and want to know if there is a way it can be made to do so.

Well, yes, TV 1 is hooked up via HDMI; I would prefer to keep it that way, for max PQ, and, its also hooked up to an integrated Google TV/Logitec Revue box.
TV1 is a 2 year old Panny 65 inch plasma, and I check for firmware updates on it regularly; It wouldn't surprise me if that was the problem though..

So, its NOT that the 722k is defective at all?

Thanks for your input!

If the TV Set isn't making HDMI / HDCP when off .. then it would rely on the 722k to figure out that there is nothing connected.

I would bet, that if you unhooked the HDMI cable *at* the 722k's side.. did a power unplugged reset .... you wouldn't have the HDCP issue come up.

The problem is that you are guilty until you prove you're innocent. The 722k seeing an electrical path there on the HDMI port says *i think there is something out there* ... so the 722k shifts into testing for HDCP compliance ... when it doesn't get HDCP negotiation, you're confirmed as guilty.

Same problem is described here..
http://answers.slingbox.com/thread/6041

If the TV isn't doing HDMI / HDCP when off ... and electrical connection is sensed .... you can have this problem. Pretty soon I expect that TV Standby Power use will increase... so that all TV's with HDMI do hdcp while in standby mode.

If the TV isn't doing HDMI / HDCP when off ... and electrical connection is sensed .... you can have this problem. Pretty soon I expect that TV Standby Power use will increase... so that all TV's with HDMI do hdcp while in standby mode.

...and this would likely render these energy-saving power strips useless? I'm referring to the strips that have a "master" outlet, which powers off corresponding outlets when something like a TV is powered off to help save that trickle of phantom power when items like a TV are in standby mode.

When I first turn the second tv on in the morning, it is very unresponsive, and takes a couple of minutes to show a picture; if I try to watch one of the premium channels, I get the "HDCP" error;
However, if I go in the other room, where the other tv (tv1) is connected, and turn it on, I can then go into the room where tv2 is, and receive all of my premium channels without a problem.

This is a known issue, and a fix is coming

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts