722k kills phone service

sca

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 27, 2009
cookieland!
its probably the modem, but my 722k instanly knocks out my phone service when plugged in. i have tried new phone cords, splitter, and different phone outlet.
any ideas, or just a bad modem?

Had the same problem with my 622, unpluged the phone cable from it and all other phone equipment was fine. Now I have it hooked up thru broadband just lost the caller Id function.

With DSL assumed, the best place for the filter built into the modem is at the entry to the house. Then you do not need any other filters. This may be an inconvenient place to receive your internet signal but given than some DSL modems only have one output, you may be able to run one RJ11 cable to a switch where you will have 4 or 7 outputs plus the one input--they are cheaper than routers. On a switch all lines are equally connected and you do not need a router's censoring with DSL.

Another thing that can be a problem is that some phones (an unpowered one in my case) need the correct polarity to work because they use the 120 VDC from the phone company at low current. If you must reverse the polarity the cheapest way is to use one extra cord, coupling the two pieces with a dual socket, typically used to have 2 outlets from one. Each cord reverses the polarity--look at a flat one and the tracer thread, often black on one outer wire.

Another possibility is that you have 2 phone lines using more wire connections (all 4 wires) and you are grounding the wrong one inside the receiver--it shouldn't. You would need a 3-way jack with line-1, line-2, line-1&2. Use line-1 (or line-2 if that is your Dish phone number) to the receiver and 1&2 to the reset of your phone system.

Guess a little more info on your phone system would eliminate some/all of these idea.
-Ken

P.S. written before your reply, so most ideas go away. -K

Don't yell at me, but are you possibly plugging the phone line into the ethernet port? That will kill the phone.

Don't yell at me, but are you possibly plugging the phone line into the ethernet port? That will kill the phone.
I had this happen when I switched to HD. The tech reached around blind behind the receiver and plugged in the phone line. My alarm panel started beeping shortly after. It took us a while to put two and two together.

It will click in just like in the phone port.

im connected to ethernet already. i just want the phone for caller id.
maybe ill try unplugging the ethernet...

its fixed (?) for now. i unplugged the ethernet and the phone connection started functioning again, and the phone service in my home stayed on. wierd. the ethernet was a direct connect to my router on a 20' cable. i hadnt bothered to check in broadband setup to even see if it WAS getting a connection via ethernet. but im not going to mess with it now, just happy to have caller id back
thanks!

It has happened to me as well. Phone company came to check on my phone because service stopped working. He checked everything outside and then had my son disconnect one thing at a time until the phones started working again. When my 722 was disconnected the phones started to work. We waited for a while and then plugged everything back in and everything was working again. If it happens again we will unplug the 722 first.

I had this happen when I switched to HD. The tech reached around blind behind the receiver and plugged in the phone line. My alarm panel started beeping shortly after. It took us a while to put two and two together.

It will click in just like in the phone port.

The tech that installed our 722 this week also plugged the phone line into the ethernet jack, although he was looking right at the back of the receiver while making the connections!:)

I had this happen with a 522. Whenever Caller ID was enabled on the 522, the modem in the receiver would try to answer the phone and drop the call. Once I disabled the Caller ID function in the receiver, the problem went away.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)