722K MT2 issue

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Got the MT2 installed a few days ago, tested it with 4 recordings at once and all seemed well.

I was watching the Saints game live NBC OTA last night, and about once an hour Id get the yellow signal loss screen and it would require a channel change. This makes me a little nervous about trying to record off OTA if there is a bug. FYI, the NBC OTA signal was running 85-94 last night.

Got the MT2 installed a few days ago, tested it with 4 recordings at once and all seemed well.

FYI, the NBC OTA signal was running 85-94 last night.

That's a rather large variation. Has it been like that from the start? I know you've only had it a few days. Could be something wonky with the station's transmitter.

With the signal jumping around like that indicates multipath. If using an outside antenna try moving it around to get a solid signal.

I believe this is an old bug that's cropped back up. This used to happen in the past to me (and others) with no 'technical' reason for it to do so. Changing channels and back would solve it. There was no increasing amount of pixelation suggesting a weakening signal either. It was 'on' then 'off'. After a s/w update, people stopped reporting the issue.... Starting a few weeks ago, people have mentioned it a few times.

Slightly off-topic, elwaylite: Only record off of the OTA channels if you have to, IMO. I personally can't see a difference in PQ and the space taken on the DVR by the satellite-delivered channels (MPEG4) typically take up 50% of the space of the OTA channels (MPEG2).

Slightly off-topic, elwaylite: Only record off of the OTA channels if you have to, IMO. I personally can't see a difference in PQ and the space taken on the DVR by the satellite-delivered channels (MPEG4) typically take up 50% of the space of the OTA channels (MPEG2).

I concur with that, when I had my 622 the OTA channels took up way more space than the corresponding satellite delivered channel.

How can you record four things at once? I know you got the two satellite tuners and the OTA tuner. Where does the fourth tuner come in?

Yepp ^^^^

As far as OTA vs Sat, Ive been recording it in 3 different markets over the past years, and I can almost always see a difference between the sat version and OTA, with OTA being better. The larger the screen, the more that compression rears it's ugly head. I currently use the TiVo Premier XL for OTA (150 hours) and use the 722k for Satellite (1 TB EHD), so space is not an issue. I just like having the backup of the 2 tuners on the 722 if I need them, or those nights where there are 3-4 local channel programs on the same hour I want to record.

Our ATSC and the MT2 both have issues with multi-path. ATSC, in particular, dealing with weather causes occasional day or TWO of horrid reception from the usual very high signal strength and reliability. This happens on both my 722K AND my TiVo S3 (TiVo S3 also employs the MT2) with EQUAL dissatisfaction when our beloved ATSC is being challenged. And now we all have to live with what the standard adopted. While not perfect, DVB-T would have been the superior standard to adopt.

As far as PQ between HD LIL and OTA: hardly any difference (some can't even see the difference) in the Los Angeles DMA. In fact, there is visible pix elation observed when viewing OTA directly connected to the TV and color seem a tad more accurate on Dish HD LIL. Overall, I actually prefer Dish's HD LIL to OTA for L.A. DMA. Others in L.A. DMA have similar opinions.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)