722k OTA Tuner Up Close

Problem With OTA Timers

If you have a 622 or 722 and are recording on 2 non local channels at the same time you can record on the OTA.
Why can we no longer record on the Digital OTA channels. I had to swap out a receiver because of this and this doing the same thing. Any timers set on dig. OTA will not record.
This is so frustrating especially on Mondays Chuck, Sarah Conners, Prison Break, WWE Raw (for my father) CSI Miami and My Worst Enemy.

I have a similar problem with both of my 622's starting about 4 months ago. I am in the Atlanta DMA and receive 2, 5, 11, and 46 both OTA and through Dish. I also receive 17, 36, and 43 OTA. Any OTA timer that I set for 2, 5, 11, or 46 does not fire if I set it for a program more than 1 day in advance. However, I can set OTA timers for 17, 36, or 43 in advance and they still fire. A timer that I set last year to record all new episodes of Smallvile on 43 still works.

I have spent several hours talking to Dish CSR's, but have made no progress. Since this started several software revisions ago, it is obviously a bug in the software that Dish CSR's will not admit. I am hoping that the next software release will fix the problem as there are times that we record 3 programs at a time and I have to set the OTA timer on the day of the program, unless it is on 17, 36, or 43. It was so much easier when I could set the OTA timers on 2, 5, 11, and 46 to record "All new programs" and have the timers always fire.

Dish seems to be going down hill and I am definitely considering switching to Directv during the next several months. The new receiver sounds very promising, but I suspect that the OTA timers will operate similarly to mine unless Dish fixes their software.

I wonder how much adding this modular capability added to the price of the 722k? It adds mechanical connectors, interface drivers, additional structural design, and it requires receiver firmware that can differentiate between OTA-present and non-OTA configurations. It might have been cheaper for Echostar to have engineered the two ATSC receivers in the first place.

I have a similar problem with both of my 622's starting about 4 months ago. I am in the Atlanta DMA and receive 2, 5, 11, and 46 both OTA and through Dish. I also receive 17, 36, and 43 OTA. Any OTA timer that I set for 2, 5, 11, or 46 does not fire if I set it for a program more than 1 day in advance. However, I can set OTA timers for 17, 36, or 43 in advance and they still fire. A timer that I set last year to record all new episodes of Smallvile on 43 still works.

I have spent several hours talking to Dish CSR's, but have made no progress. Since this started several software revisions ago, it is obviously a bug in the software that Dish CSR's will not admit. I am hoping that the next software release will fix the problem as there are times that we record 3 programs at a time and I have to set the OTA timer on the day of the program, unless it is on 17, 36, or 43. It was so much easier when I could set the OTA timers on 2, 5, 11, and 46 to record "All new programs" and have the timers always fire.

Dish seems to be going down hill and I am definitely considering switching to Directv during the next several months. The new receiver sounds very promising, but I suspect that the OTA timers will operate similarly to mine unless Dish fixes their software.

I am also in the Atlanta area and set many timers on the channels that you are having problems with (most recently being Nascar and multiple football games all set more than 1 day in advance). Sounds to me like you have a bad receiver not a general software problem. I'd get them to swap it out!

I wonder how much adding this modular capability added to the price of the 722k? It adds mechanical connectors, interface drivers, additional structural design, and it requires receiver firmware that can differentiate between OTA-present and non-OTA configurations. It might have been cheaper for Echostar to have engineered the two ATSC receivers in the first place.
Should be $30 to purchase the OTA Module. Not sure how it will work with leasing (or if you can even lease it??). By the way, the 222k has been released (just installed one this week) and it has the same removable dual OTA card, and allows both TV1 & TV2 to watch OTA channels if you purchase the module.

I wish DISH would spend more time and energy trying to fix the current problems. My 622 OTA timers never work anymore, even when I am not recording anything else. And the sound blips on recordings from my local ABC station are driving us crazy. The last thing I need is this feature, when the ones they have now don't work worth a crap!

I wish DISH would spend more time and energy trying to fix the current problems. My 622 OTA timers never work anymore, even when I am not recording anything else. And the sound blips on recordings from my local ABC station are driving us crazy. The last thing I need is this feature, when the ones they have now don't work worth a crap!

FWIW I think it's an ABC issue. I get the blips from 2 different ABCs. I get it OTA and through DISH.

Acer

ATSC modulation

What are the chances that this plug-in will also modulate the satellite and OTA signal as an ATSC HD signal to the other TV?

I remember the EchoStar 6000 could modulate the HD signal over and ATSC channel and it would be awesome if this feature made a comeback for the second TV output.

Sorry, I ment the Dish 5000 box with the external ATSC modulator that went into the expansion port.

Still wondering if this new tuner pack will allow ATSC modulation to the second room.

What are the chances that this plug-in will also modulate the satellite and OTA signal as an ATSC HD signal to the other TV?
0. Zero. Nada. Nil. Zip. Not going to happen.
I remember the EchoStar 6000 could modulate the HD signal over and ATSC channel and it would be awesome if this feature made a comeback for the second TV output.
It was the Dish 5000 and that was a special case of taking the MPEG-2 stream that Dish was using at the time and re-packaging the AV stream with ATSC packets so the ATSC tuner could recognize it. It was a pretty simple and eligant way to deliver HD programming to existing HD TVs of the time. Now that ATSC DVRs are everywhere, there would be no way for Dish to insure that copy-protected programming could not be recorded via this ATSC signal.

Dang I just got smacked. :) Thanks though. I guess I figured since it had 722 in the model number, that the 722k was just what it was called after you jam this thing in the 722. Happy Black Friday!

Just to get it straight in my head...is the ViP 722k going to be the same as the ViP 722 (i.e. 2 SAT tuners, 1 OTA tuner), but just add a slot to add a 2nd OTA tuner? Is this what will be offered to new subscribers, or will the ViP 722 still be available?