722k phone and LAN hookup

york4311

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2009
USA
I currently have my 722k hooked up via phone. But I see a LAN input on the back. What is that used for???

Can I hook it up to the LAN and remove the phone cable? Is there anything I have to do to tell it that I'm hooked to the LAN, or does it just figure it out on it's own?

Are there any benefits of hooking to the LAN vs. phone?

It figures it out on its own and will allow you to get VOD. Without the phone line hooked up you won't have caller ID but you can have both. Hope this helps.

Ed

The ethernet port is one of two ways to connect to the internet. The other is via built in PowerPlug - is that the right name for it? where it can connect through your house wiring. Advantages of internet hook up are access to the large library of downloadable programs including 1080p sources. The only way to get 1080p sources is via the internet. And the biggie for me is the ability to program your DVR from a computer. Only advantage of phone line is CID, but since it is a DVR you will probably watch most of programs off the hard drive and CID info gets hard coded over top of recordings. That is, when viewing recorded sources you will receive CID information that happened when the program was recording.

I have no phone line but I do have my LAN plugged in. Without phone line, you can't view or pay bill via your box and you can't participate in tournaments or interact with other players with DishGames or PlayinTV or things like that. I wish (like DirecTV does) that the LAN would completely remove any use of having a phone line plugged in.

I agree you do not see info on calls that took place whilea program is recorded. that would be annoying.

The ethernet port is one of two ways to connect to the internet. The other is via built in PowerPlug - is that the right name for it? where it can connect through your house wiring. Advantages of internet hook up are access to the large library of downloadable programs including 1080p sources. The only way to get 1080p sources is via the internet. And the biggie for me is the ability to program your DVR from a computer. Only advantage of phone line is CID, but since it is a DVR you will probably watch most of programs off the hard drive and CID info gets hard coded over top of recordings. That is, when viewing recorded sources you will receive CID information that happened when the program was recording.

kvnfl,

No, if you have the Phone Line plugged in and you get a phone call when your DVR is recording something the CID pop up will NOT be recorded to your DVR event. The only way you will get the CID recorded to a recording is if you are archiving an event to another medium (ie DVD, VCR, Computer) when the Popup occurs.

John

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts