722K reliability??

NR2D

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 17, 2005
Laurel Springs NJ
I ahve had a 722K for about 3 - 4 years and it has worked perfectly (I'm jinxed now!!!)
I installed my system, receiver and dishes, myself. Just to add I have 2 dishes set up
in the 1000.2 configuration. I have 2 feed lines from each dish with the 3rd output with
feed line but not connected at the far end.

My daughter and her family in about 1 year are on their 3rd 722K. Could it be the installation
or is she just having bad luck with receivers. I was at her house for about the last 1/4 of the
install and I must say I was not impressed with the installation tech. They have just 1 feed line
coming to the receiver from the dish and some kind of Dish splitter at the receiver to the 2nd
dish input and local antenna input.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
That "splitter" is a separator. Different animal.

Is it on an UPS? She may have "dirty" power.

At 1 time they were on an UPS but I think my son-in-law may have taken it off. I failed to mention
the problems. The 1st receiver wouldn't tune the satellites and the problem now is it will power on
but only for about 1 second.

I have both my 722K and 1 VIP222K on UPSs.

Sounds like bad luck to me. Without seeing pics of the install I can't gauge whether or not the installation is the issue. As previously stated make sure the power is clean enough and it's got ventilation. I ran three 722ks for years without UPSs and none of them failed me. Still running a single 722k still with no UPS and it's going strong.

Single feed from the dish per receiver and a separator has been standard installation for many years now. Doesn't degrade the quality of the install at all. As for the OTA splitter it could be either a splitter or a diplexer. Neither of those will degrade quality if properly installed. I've got my 722k hooked to two splitters, a diplexer and a triplexer with no issues whatsoever.

Either bad luck, poor ventilation, or bad power. I've had the same 722k since it came out (at least 5 or 6 years, maybe longer). The last couple years it was hooked up with the diplexor. I just retired it today for a Hopper with Sling, and it still works without a hitch. The 722k is the best reciever we've had in our 12+ years as Dish customers.

Used VIP722k I bought from a person here for almost 1 year to the day. NO problems, unlike the Vip622 it replaced. It's on a UPS, and self installed dishes, and I have dirty power and frequent power losses. One line coming in from the switch, and using a separator.

I agree with 722 being the best receiver Dish ever came out with on many different aspects. The Hopper may be considered the best if we dont run into a bunch of bad ones over the next year or two.

Remember the 722K has been out of production for years, it was replaced by the Hopper and then the Hopper with Sling. You can be positive the receivers she has been getting are REFURBS. DISH doesn't have the best reputation for it's REFURBS. Keep swapping them out and you will end up with a working one.

Remember the 722K has been out of production for years, it was replaced by the Hopper and then the Hopper with Sling. You can be positive the receivers she has been getting are REFURBS. DISH doesn't have the best reputation for it's REFURBS. Keep swapping them out and you will end up with a working one.
I've had good luck with refurbs. I had two in the past (one 722, one 722K) that both lasted longer than the new ones they replaced.

There used to be BIG issues with refurbs. I got three in a row that failed before sometimes each had different problems. I was so aggrevated once that I contacted someone high up enough in the company that got results, a new receiver replacement, which I sold to get rid of and got a totally different receiver model. This was close to ten years ago.

I think in the past three or four or so years they have made some improvements in their refurbs. They seemed to have figured out some of the issues replacing certain parts with higher quality parts getting qc in control better. I had a 722 replaced a few years back and its worked fine since.

Have the Hoppers had serious hardware/refurb issues like receivers of the past?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts