722k & SA vs. 922 slingloaded DVR vs. 722K & slingbox 350

kmmcdonald

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2006
I have searched the forum and could not find answers to my questions.

We currently have a VIP722k which is connected to the internet. A USB hard drive is connected to the rear USB port. We want to add "sling" capability. What is the best way to go about this:

a) Add Slingbox Adapter, connecting it to the front USB port? (The 722k manual says that only one USB port should be connected at a time. Is that still true? Would I have to disconnect the hard drive to use the SA?)

b) Add a Slingbox 350?

or

c) Upgrade the 722k to a 922 Sling enabled DVR?

thanks

Keith

I have searched the forum and could not find answers to my questions.

We currently have a VIP722k which is connected to the internet. A USB hard drive is connected to the rear USB port. We want to add "sling" capability. What is the best way to go about this:

a) Add Slingbox Adapter, connecting it to the front USB port? (The 722k manual says that only one USB port should be connected at a time. Is that still true? Would I have to disconnect the hard drive to use the SA?)

b) Add a Slingbox 350?

or

c) Upgrade the 722k to a 922 Sling enabled DVR?

thanks

Keith

The Sling Adapter would work fine in the front USB while the rear port is used for your ehd. I would personally recommend the Hopper over 922. I had a 922 and while it worked most of the time, I did have some problems with it. I would recommend a722 with sling over a 922 and a Hopper with Sling over both.

You most definitely can use both USB ports; I have this configuration running fine on my 722 since the Sling Adapter first came out.

The Singbox 350 would also work, and allow you to plug it into other A/V equipment besides your 722k. For this extra flexibility, you'll pay. :( I think you can also get better clients, e.g. on the Logitech Revue, which are not available for use with the Sling Adapter (I don't know why).

Many people prefer the 722k w/Sling Adapter over the 922. I'd say if you want a more modern, tiled interface, then an upgrade to a 922 would work fine for you. Some people swear by them; others swear at them.

Another thing to keep in mind is that with a sling box you would need to purchase the Sling Player Mobile app for $15.

Also, I believe the reason the sling remote viewing doesn't work on the revue is because the review has Chrome on it but its a somewhat dumbed down version. The revue will not allow for the sling player or wide vine plug in to be installed like you can on a PC. I'm guessing nothing has been implemented for the revue because of the comparatively tiny user base with the Revue and dish no longer sells revues.

I have a Sling Adapter on my 722k and it works fine as far as it goes especially incomparison to a "REAL" slingbox.

I also have a Slingbox AV (old SD model) connected to the output on a 211 and I MUCH prefer the Slingbox interface, it essentially gives you an on screen faxsimile of your remote to do everything you could do with the remote at home, whereas the Sling Adapter is dependent on the totally lame Dish Sling Adapter interface.

The Sling Adapter interface only offers you FF, REW pause play and a small box to input a channel number or use up and down to increment channels.

Getting to the guide is very clunky - I HATE THE Sling Adapter INTERFACE!!

Dish should just drop it and use the Slingbox interface for both (which they had for a short period of time several years ago).

If I had a choice I would ALWAYS opt for the REAL Slingbox over the Sling adapter, just from the usability standpoint of the interface.

There have been complaints of the Sling Adapter occasionally not showing recorded content or not showing live content, but I have never had that problem, I just HATE the interface! HATE!!! HATE!!!

I think the Dish interface is MUCH more user friendly than the Sling Player Mobile interface. The main point for me is the guide. The guide is way easier to use and scroll through on the Dish app because you can just flick your finger and scroll through the guide extremly fast. The Sling interface requires accessing the guide just like you would on your TV at home and to me that is clumbsy when using a phone or tablet to do that. I guess I could manually punch in the number to skip further down in the guide but even that is a pain in my opinion. I do like the Sling app and its full control that you get, but to me the Dish app interface is way way way easier to use.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)