722k second TV - can I hook up to computer monitor w/no Coax?

goldmantx

Original poster
Jun 21, 2008
Gilbert, AZ
So I have been offered a 47" Plasma monitor from my FIL. I want to put it upstairs in our loft.
The issue I have is this, the upstairs loft is connection 2 on my 722 that is downstairs. The Plasma monitor only has BNC, VGA, DVI, composite and RCA jacks. No coax connection.
Since I have only the coax to the upstairs, what is the best way that I can make this work. If I put a box upstairs to output a signal, I will lose the ability for my kids to watch their shows they recorded downstairs, right?
I have found 2 boxes that might let this work, but am unsure - the AverTV Box7 and 11 (not sure which one will work the best). Is there such a thing as a coax to bnc connector that would work?
I have been doing a bit of research but I am really confused.

Thanks in advance!

Yes there are BNC adapters for coax but connecting to the monitor with the coax and BNC adapter won't cure your problem. It is a monitor it dosen't have a built in tuner so it can't tune to the UHF channels that TV2 is broadcast on. The old VCR may be the easiest solution.

Other possible solutions:
An RF transmitter and receiver using 900/2.4 &5.8 frequencies they send A/V signals through the air to a receiver that usually has composite outputs.

I also have some old Hughes and Samsung Directv receivers that have NTSC and ATSC tuners built in they could be used on the coax to tune the TV2 signals.

A DISH 811/381 could also work it needs a DISH signal but does not need a subscription to tune OTA signals.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)