722k Service menu to raise audio output level?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

johnwadams

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 1, 2006
Arkansas
Why was there a volume control on the older units and not the newer units?
It is like my 722k is set at 75-80% of the output I got off my 3900 and 2700.
How do you access the service menu? Surely there is one.
I need to raise the volume on my HD broadcasts off HBO and Showtime.
I don't care about SD or commercials on TV1. But the volume is still lower than normal on SD on tv2, hooked up via RF. Sometimes I have to crank that tv's volume up full...
I had my A/V rcvr wide open last night to watch a movie on Showtime.
I have a Sony STR-DE998 A/V receiver and the normal, high volume for the DVD player or the FM tuner or the old 3900 box is 50. Max = 75. I had this on a SA 8300 HD-DVR cable box and the only time "50" was not normal was after a power outage and the box reset to an output level of about 80%. Raising the volume back was not an instant thing since the remote had been set to control the Sony. I had to set it back where it controled the 8300 and then raise the volume back to full.
BTW, audio from 722k to Sony = optical.

No audio level settings for any of the current VIP series receivers.

OK. What's the solution?
Is not there a standard line level audio output?
It appears there is based on research listed below. I have always heard the term "1 volt" used but never researched it till now.

What happened to::::

The reference voltage for the decibel volt (0 dBV) is 1 VRMS, which is the voltage required to produce 1 milliwatt (mW) of power across a 1 kilohm (k?) load.[1] The reference voltage for the decibel unloaded (0 dBu) is the voltage required to produce 1 mW of power across a 600 ? load (approximately 0.7746 VRMS).[2]
The most common nominal level for consumer audio equipment is ?10 dBV, and the most common nominal level for professional equipment is 4 dBu. By convention, nominal levels are always written with an explicit sign symbol. Thus 4 dBu is written as +4 dBu.
Expressed in absolute terms, a signal at ?10 dBV is equivalent to a sine wave signal with an amplitude of approximately 0.447 volts, or any general signal at 0.316 volts root mean square (VRMS). A signal at +4 dBu is equivalent to a sine wave signal with an amplitude of approximately 1.737 volts, or any general signal at approximately 1.228 VRMS.

Optical

OK. What's the solution?
Is not there a standard line level audio output?
It appears there is based on research listed below. I have always heard the term "1 volt" used but never researched it till now.

What happened to::::

The reference voltage for the decibel volt (0 dBV) is 1 VRMS, which is the voltage required to produce 1 milliwatt (mW) of power across a 1 kilohm (k?) load.[1] The reference voltage for the decibel unloaded (0 dBu) is the voltage required to produce 1 mW of power across a 600 ? load (approximately 0.7746 VRMS).[2]
The most common nominal level for consumer audio equipment is ?10 dBV, and the most common nominal level for professional equipment is 4 dBu. By convention, nominal levels are always written with an explicit sign symbol. Thus 4 dBu is written as +4 dBu.
Expressed in absolute terms, a signal at ?10 dBV is equivalent to a sine wave signal with an amplitude of approximately 0.447 volts, or any general signal at 0.316 volts root mean square (VRMS). A signal at +4 dBu is equivalent to a sine wave signal with an amplitude of approximately 1.737 volts, or any general signal at approximately 1.228 VRMS.

You are using optical so none of this relates. This just a way of measuring the output level. That is also for a 600 ohm device(which is commercial equipment). The output of an optical doesn't use impedance to connect from receiver to audio system. Also the impedance of consumer equipment is high usually in the range of 10 to 100k ohms. I tried to find specs for the stereo analog audio out of the 722k but was unable to do it. They just aren't listed in the manual anywhere that I could find. My guess is that they are using C.E. specs. So back to a high impedance output on the unit. Good luck in your quest but have a feeling that unless you have a dynamic range adjustment in you Sony A/V receiver then you will not be able to do what you are wanting to do. My Yamaha does but I don't use it since I want the wide dynamic range as it is from the source material.

Thanks.
For what it's worth, when I had a SA 8300 box hooked up via optical digital audio in, it worked fine, as long as the volume on the 8300 was set to max.
My Sony upconverting DVD player is also hooked up via optical and it works fine. I don't know why the 722k should not have the same audio out level on HBO, SHO and other HD channels as the SA 8300 did. Plus, the audio level stayed the same on the 8300. Did not matter if you were SD, HD 2.0 or HD 5.1.

I do have dynamic range adjustment in my Sony A/V receiver, but like you I have it turned off. I just tried it and it really did not make much difference.
John

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts