722k unit - on demand issues

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

RyanSump

Original poster
Aug 24, 2011
Columbia Missouri
I am unable to play any on demand content. After 5 minutes-2 hours the content will show up in my rentals and say the download could not be completed. Here's the info:

I have a 722k duo dvr unit with sling adapter.
It is connected to 10mbs DSL Internet.
I am able to stream from the sling adapter to my iPhone/iPad without any issues
I am able to browse all titles, search, ect through the entire on demand library.
When I download a movie it gives me the estimated time of completion (6 hours).
I used to have cable Internet and this same thing was happening when my 722k unit was connected to cable. I switched to DSL and the same problem is happening.
I bought a new wireless router thinking this was the issue, nope.
I've called in this issue to dish 3 times and we've tried things like disabling sleep mode, but no one seems to understand the issue.
I've been able to watch 5 minutes of a 30 minute show, but eventually the download says it could not be completed.

I'm out of ideas so I'm posting here out of desperation. Someone please be my hero.

The content you've attempted.. have you tried 5 minute videos? look for MTV's stuff, also try the Travel video's ... see if different short content will work. Also post the names of each item you tried, so that others can try it, that way you can find out if others have problems with the same content (especially try free stuff ... be cautious of "free movies" they've had glitches in the past where new movies show up as free but end up actually charging for it)

It doesn't matter if the content is short or long, after a few minutes the show appeared in my rentals and said the download could not be completed. Ive tried shows off of Starz like the social network and hot tub time machine and shows from regular TV. Never had this issue with on demand when I was a cable subscriber.

I have dish's everything package and I like the selection better then the cable company, but I miss the on demand feature enough to consider taking Mediacom's offer of paying 350$ to get me out of my current contract.

Ive rule out:
Router - tried 2 separate routers
ISP- I've switched between cable and Dsl internet

Seems like it has to be a piece of dish equipment that is not working properly and I can't find a pattern of failure.

Just did:
Starz - Party Down2: ep 201 (28m)
MTV2 - Live Performances - Franz Ferdinand - Take me out (5m)

(selected download later for Franz, since it was currently downloading 'party down')
Both of these were ordered through the remote control at TV1 (not through an online option)

The "watch now" time kept bouncing all over up/down on the Party Down episode, so after 20 minutes, I went into the Live Performances ... and moved it "up" in the queue then hit the watch now, and it went though perfectly fine ... Now I'm just waiting for this 28 minute "Party Down" episode to finally offer "watch" or "watch now". Most likely I will get a notice later that the content is finally ready for viewing. (will post a follow up on that when it happens)

The keypoint in this is to see if the problem is the content (more than likey server side) or receiver side.

Personally, and others have agreed about this though, the "On demand" portion of Dish is worthless. PPV is not considered "On Demand" as its a different channel (different part of the business and not delivered the same way) and most of us that have given up on the "On Demand" have it in other ways, my Bluray does Hulu, Netflix, Blockbuster, Vudu, Pandora, etc.. and these have been much better than dish's offerings, as well as less frustrating .. etc.. Yes the difference is that there is *some* free content on the On Demand side.. but most of its not worth it.

EDIT: I waited and waited.. and suddenly just after posting, the episode of Party Down showed "Watch" This was no less than 40 minutes from ordering it. I have 6 meg (10 meg turbo) Cable service ... and yes I can stream live through the bluray much better than the 722k.

Edit 2: Both VOD events played without a problem. But again, it took about an hour all tolled for these two downloads.

Last edited:
RyanSump,

I was able to order and begin watching an ON DEMAND movie within 1:30 minutes. I will continue to test to see if I can replicate your problem. Thanks.

I order several yesterday (free ones) and all dnld fine. You have some other problem that I don't know what it is. To me it sounds like your DSL provider may have a problem. You may need to ask them for help.

Just to be clear.. I think the OP needs to specify exactly what titles were tried, and which method .. browse by network, search, DVR then #4 or TV shows ..etc.

Otherwise ... it really could be specific content that OP is going after and by the luck of the draw the rest of us in our testing haven't found the stuff he did..

As to hardware OP has tried.. far too often we've all seen issues crop up with gateway routers, soho gateway routers, and DSL or Cable modem issues.. so even though 2 have been tried... if one of them wasn't running an alternative OS (DD-WRT or Tomato) then the chances are that the routers could be having a problem, or the DSL modem, etc... So even there ... knowing the brands of modem and router (firmware revisions too, etc) would help trouble shoot a little better...

Seriously Ryan ... folks here are here to help.. there isn't a wide spread problem at this time.... lord knows I don't like giving dish the ease up on the reins, but without more to go on and trouble shoot, we're just shootin' blanks..

And yes I know it can be frustrating ... you should see my nasty threads about Dish Online some time.. but right now.. the problem seems more related to your path/connectivity/system than to Dish proper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts