722k vs 922

Note to self: Never get a Dish receiver that starts with a "9". :D

Dish will probably come out with the golden DPP666 receiver as a follow on to the wildly successful DPP622 featuring whole house recording on 6 satellite stations to 6 TVs at once...

Only exception to that was the 942. That was a darn good receiver.

I loved this receiver, had two of them , and thought it was cool that you could do both ota in analog and digital . Of course this was back when there was still analog channels on the air. I think we should avoid receivers that start with 92_.;)

I now have another question.do I need a separate device to connect to the net or does the adapter take care of that too? Currently have my 722k connected to the net with a game adapter using the rear usb port of the dvr .

So I use both usb ports then? Front and back.
I beg your pardon. I had to read back to P2 to remember which adapter you are talking about. I think you are talking about the Sling Adapter. It most certainly does NOT take care of the Internet connection, as I suggested above. You still need your gaming adapter, or a direct (wired) connection, or the new USB wireless adapter, for the Internet connection. The Sling Adapter without an Internet connection to the receiver is completely useless.

Sorry about my "adapter" confusion. So... You would be using both USB ports on the receiver with a wireless USB adapter or an EHD, in combination with the Sling Adapter. You would not be using both if you continue with your wireless gaming adapter, or wire up the Ethernet jack, or go with a Powerline adapter. Or if you use a USB hub. ;)

Last edited:
Unfortunately the "tv 2 user stopped/deleted" bug shows up on rare occasions on the 722k too. :(

I've thought about the 922 many times, but reading here and other places leads me to believe it isn't ready for prime time and certainly not at a fairly hefty premium.

I have NEVER seen that on a 722K. Of course, mine operates in single mode.

ronfelder said:
Thaks. Now for my follow up question. would it be better to get this sling adapter for my 722k roto get a stand alone sling box for hd? afterall if i ever left Dish my sling adapter would be useless while the regular sling box works with any service or stb.

as it stands now i'm planning on getting the adapter. think they'll ever put it on sale below the $100 price?

Ron

Lower price will never happen. Don't know why others have had problems, but with every update the 922 gets more and more reliable (it takes time for any new DVR to have the bugs ironed out) and I can whole heartedly recommend it. Never had a single problem here. The menus are so much easier to navigate (nicer looking as well) that it makes any recording time conflicts you may have (more shows set to record at the same time than you have tuners for, or recordings overlapping), a piece of cake to resolve and it keeps you very well informed about any conflicts. The menus are also faster as well. Zero lag time. Buy the time you buy an extra hard drive (the 500GB on the 722 is a joke and will be full in no time with all the HD programs you'll record) and pay the $100 + shipping for the sling adapter it is pretty close in price to the $200 for the 922. The four bucks extra per month is well worth the price to have a unit with everything ready to go right out of the box and built in without anything extra hanging out like an external hard drive and sling adapter, and well worth it for the nicer Graphic Interface and ease of use plus if anything goes wrong with your equipment your covered for everything by Dish (not so with the sling adapter and the extra hard drive you'll need for the 722). That may not sound like much but it is something you'll use everyday and something you're stuck with so I'd get the best, but that's just my personal opinion. The 722 is still very cool but I do think the 922 has a small edge over it, but an edge is still an edge, and both are light years ahead of any DVR from DirecTV or any other company so what ever you decide I don't think you can go wrong.

Last edited:
TheKrell said:
I beg your pardon. I had to read back to P2 to remember which adapter you are talking about. I think you are talking about the Sling Adapter. It most certainly does NOT take care of the Internet connection, as I suggested above. You still need your gaming adapter, or a direct (wired) connection, or the new USB wireless adapter, for the Internet connection. The Sling Adapter without an Internet connection to the receiver is completely useless.

Sorry about my "adapter" confusion. So... You would be using both USB ports on the receiver with a wireless USB adapter or an EHD, in combination with the Sling Adapter. You would not be using both if you continue with your wireless gaming adapter, or wire up the Ethernet jack, or go with a Powerline adapter. Or if you use a USB hub. ;)

Then I'm correct in saying the one usb port is for the sling adapter and the other for the gaming adapter.correct? Forget are both usb connectors are in the rear?

If you hadn't told me this I had assumed the sling adapter did the internet connection.

If you hadn't told me this I had assumed the sling adapter did the internet connection.
Yes, and that is why I went into such mind numbing detail. Your last post alerted to me to the fact that you were talking about a different adapter than I was. A thousand pardons again. I should have checked first.

Then I'm correct in saying the one usb port is for the sling adapter and the other for the gaming adapter.correct? Forget are both usb connectors are in the rear?
One port is on the front behind a little door, while the other is on the back. If you buy a Sling Adapter, it consumes one USB port. I put mine on the back just because. I use a good ol' fashioned wired Ethernet connection on mine, so the front jack is still "open" and the front door is closed. ;) If you use a wireless gaming adapter, this too uses the wired Ethernet jack and so you wouldn't need your 2nd USB port.

TheKrell said:
Yes, and that is why I went into such mind numbing detail. Your last post alerted to me to the fact that you were talking about a different adapter than I was. A thousand pardons again. I should have checked first.

One port is on the front behind a little door, while the other is on the back. If you buy a Sling Adapter, it consumes one USB port. I put mine on the back just because. I use a good ol' fashioned wired Ethernet connection on mine, so the front jack is still "open" and the front door is closed. ;) If you use a wireless gaming adapter, this too uses the wired Ethernet jack and so you wouldn't need your 2nd USB port.

I totally forgot that the gaming adapter uses the rg45 connector in the back rather than the other usb port.that's why I kept asking why I wasn't using the other usb port.
Thanks for all your help and straightening out my confusion.when i get home and have access to a real computer rather than a smart phone I'll order it.not sure how secure ordering things online on a smart phone is.