722k with a dish500 antenna

tdiwrench

Original poster
Dec 16, 2010
Milkyway
Hi - first post

Bought a 722K receiver and wanted to replace my current DVR - went to activate it and was told by Dish that I would need to upgrade my Dish500 antenna to a 1000.4 which they would be happy to do for $195

I bought the receiver mainly for the ability to watch live and record live or record two live - I could care less about HD channels.

If I do not care about HD do I need to change my dish (all I want is 110 & 119) from the 500 to the 1000.4?

Oh if I have to go with a 1000.4 do I have to pop for the HD channels as I notice the 1000.4 antennas are aimed at 61.5, 72.7, 77, HD - how would I get the standard channels on 110&119?

thanks

You will still get your SD channels. I do installs all the time for customers that don't have hd tvs. SD will work fine. I would say that you already paid a contractor to have the work done and just need to activate. That shouldn't prompt any charge. But I'm a tech, not a cust service rep.

A better option may have been to buy a 625 and avoid all the trouble.

Probably the best option (assuming you're not outside the USA and/or in an RV) would be to lease a ViP722 and they would install the dish for free.

If your 500 dish has a Plus Twin (DPP) you are fine with your setup (i'm not sure what kind of receiver you are replacing). If you have just a regular Twin or a Quad (DP), make sure you have two feeds to the receiver. Other than that, your receiver will still work perfectly fine without sat 129 since you understand you are missing HD channels and don't care.

The Dish 500 I have has two seperate LNB's mounted on one yoke - both LNB's have two outputs each

The receiver it is replacing is a DP510 - 722K was new in box so I have everything that comes in the box.

Edit - quick google image search - looks like these

dish-500-dp-dual-lnb.jpg

If your 500 dish has a Plus Twin (DPP) you are fine with your setup (i'm not sure what kind of receiver you are replacing). If you have just a regular Twin or a Quad (DP), make sure you have two feeds to the receiver. Other than that, your receiver will still work perfectly fine without sat 129 since you understand you are missing HD channels and don't care.

Last edited:
yup you need 1 line from each LNBF to sat input 1 & 2..man another do it youreselfer..it would be cheaper to call dish and have a tech come do it for 15$

yup you need 1 line from each LNBF to sat input 1 & 2..man another do it youreselfer..it would be cheaper to call dish and have a tech come do it for 15$

Note sure I understand what you are saying - Dish wanted $195 to come out ($100 for the 1000.4 and $95 installation)

Thanks - would rather not. Could you explain what you meant by the one line comment

It's been a while since I had a 500, but I'll try.

As gregskin stated, using 2 dp dual lnb's, each tuner in the receiver has to have its own coax from the lnb's.

This is one example:
  1. 2 dp21 switches are needed, one switch for each tuner. The switch will combine signals from 110/119 into one coax. One coax from each switch to each tuner input on the receiver.
  2. I think one dp34 switch will work also, but the price of two dp21's may be cheaper than one dp34. The dp21's can be found pretty cheap.

Look around and see if you can get a dpp twin. It will replace those LNBs (if your LNBs actually look exactly like that they are Legacy) and you will only have to run one line to the receiver. You may have to search a little because I don't know where to find one

Look around and see if you can get a dpp twin. It will replace those LNBs (if your LNBs actually look exactly like that they are Legacy) and you will only have to run one line to the receiver. You may have to search a little because I don't know where to find one

Thanks - is this one

DPP_Twin_LNB.jpg

I presume it is one line for 110 and 119 and then if connect to a diplexor to go into the house and another to connect to the receiver to get the two inputs at the receiver

You will still get your SD channels. I do installs all the time for customers that don't have hd tvs. SD will work fine. I would say that you already paid a contractor to have the work done and just need to activate. That shouldn't prompt any charge. But I'm a tech, not a cust service rep.

Any tech who installs a ViP receiver with a Dish 500 needs to be beaten senseless with a dead trout. :mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)