722K would not boot after apparently complete software update?

gherna1

Original poster
Sep 15, 2010
Youngstown, NY
I had my 722K die on me due to a failed attempt to reformat its internal HDD. Luckily - I thought - I had a second receiver which I had used before, but retired it from use due to intermittent failures, which I attributed to internal heat due to lack of ventilation in its closed metal box. Even on standy the unit would heat up as much as an iron. Maybe the internal fan died? I don't know.

The unit would freeze now and then, which initially happened a few times, but the frequency grew to the point that I had to purchase a second unit (the one that I killed).

After replacing all the cables, and calling DISH to deactivate the first one and reactivate the latter one, I was ready to watch TV again. NOT!

The first thing that happened was surprising. I had never seen this before: A blueish rectangular interface with very coarse letters (I own a 51" HD Samsung TV) appeared asking me not to disturb the download process. It had a message at the top that like this:
WARNING ... 981​

Boot recovery
Bootstrap ID 1533
Hardware ID RMKB
Receiver ID XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Vital program information
will now be downloaded
into your receiver.
Do not disturb or unplug
the receiver until this
screen disappears

Progress bar - - - - - - - >​

The unit rebooted itself, and to my surprise, it repeated the process again. After the second download, the unit rebooted once more, but this time, the familiar red DISH logo and "Starting up..." message appeared.

However, after about ten minutes or so, the green light on the front panel would turn off and the unit would reboot itself again, in a vicious cycle.

I've tried unplugging it from power and after a few minutes, the same software download takes place. I assume the firmware update has failed and turned my 722K into an anchor. I also tried plugging the unit directly to a wall outlet, to no avail.

Again, I own this unit, and it's out of warranty. Any help will be appreciated.

On this case it would be beneficial to have the protection plan. If out of warranty, it's the $15 S&H plus $90 for the owned receiver. With the PP it's free.

It's in "Boot Recovery Mode" due to a corrupted firmware problem. Just leave it alone overnight, and you should be fine. Do NOT power it off, mess with the remote, do ANYTHING with it!

I had the same problem (with a VIP622), and everything you do will hinder it fixing itself.

Primestar is right, leave it alone. It is trying to fix itself, aka, finish the software download and burn Process.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!
Hopefully the OP will report back to see if that indeed was the case.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)