Status
Please reply by conversation.

kingjeste

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 23, 2008
Ohio
Was wondering if it possible to recieve 72W with a Dish 500 satellite.. i got an spare one. just wonder if it big enuff to get that SAT. Was thinking about this today.. not my pic.. i say dish is about 20in big.. just a thought

large_66_Dish500only-Front.jpg

I've never tried a small dish on 72w but I do have 4 or 5 on other sats. At my location, 95W is the easiest to get on a small dish like that, I'm in CT. Here's a thread on small dishes, there may be something helpful in it:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/95w-on-an-18-dish.335399/

A decent meter really helps when trying to use a small dish like that for FTA, I use a First Strike 1. A decent PLL LNB makes a big difference too, it's easier to pick up the signal with a PLL.

Judging from satbeams.com it looks like you may be able to get something with that small of a reflector. It says on here you're from Ohio, and the recommended dish according to satbeams for your area is 21.7 inches. As always, though, the bigger the better. At the very least, maybe try to find a superdish or DirecTV slimline/ WorldDirect dish if you're going for cheap.

Once upon a time, I got 72W on a first-generation 18" Dish dish. The aim was pretty tricky though -- for some reason, the NBC channels always seemed to come in best at a different position than the other feeds. This was when there was a satellite at 74W, so maybe there was some interference from that. But also keep in mind that back then, there were few S2 feeds. So I'd say go for it if you were only interested in the NBC channels, but if you're hoping for more feeds, don't be surprised if you don't get them all.

And don't forget the small dish will not have any margin for rain fade, snow or even heavy overcast. You will also need an adapter of some kind to attach the linear LNB to the dish arm.

Thank all for some input on this.. already got motorize dish.. just thought to try something new..

Try a turbo hd dish would be the minimum that you can get away with. I can barely get dvbs 2 on a turbo hd dish from 87w ku look up my posts for more details.

On 87w I got the mta mux at 70+q dvbs it would give a little bit more wiggle room to work with over a dish 500.

yes it will work fine. I used an 18" dish (dish 300) when I had my FTA setup and it worked fine for the DVB channels

000_0531.jpg 000_0532.jpg

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts