760 code Hard Drive Failure

broeddog

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 7, 2010
Grand Rapids, MI
I got up this morning to find this error code 760 on my main tv, which is connected to a Hopper w/sling and running software S506 NDGD. Loosing all the recordings on this Hopper has ticked me off and I did not want to re-format the hard drive, but after two hard resets and a red button reset, I had no choice but to reformat the hard drive. I was reading several other posts on this topic that were suggesting this hard drive failure was a result of the software, not hardware. I went into the counters to check when the last fsck was done only to see that the date was 12/31/99. For those of you in the know, does this date even seem possible? I also noticed that there is no Joey software available which I've never seen that before today. For the most part I've been happy with Dish but the last 4-5 software updates on both my Hopper w/sling have caused more problems and less enjoyment. I don't want to change providers because I truly think the Hopper is the best DVR on the market, but their lack interest or ability to perfect there Hopper software is totally inexcusable in my opinion.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Hard drives fail or act up due to hardware issues/faults. Yes, software could cause a problem requiring the drive to be wiped but it's not very likely or common. If it was truly faulty software, I think we'd see more people reporting the same thing.

Searching the "760" error code suggests the HDD is dying. Call Dish and tell them you rec'd this error and see what their resolution is. If it's "we're going to send you a replacement DVR", well, you know ;)

As for the fsck date, I think that's just a default date that is used for a starting point. Do a red-button reset and check it again. I suspect it will be change to today's date.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)